Staff Representative : District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia
OPEIU Local 2
Based out of Silver Spring, MD
The Office & Professional Employees International Union, Local 2, AFL-CIO is a dynamic, progressive labor union for professional, technical, and office professionals in the private and public sectors. We are committed to leading and assisting members to improve their workplaces, gain competitive wages, benefits, and respect in the workplace.
OPEIU Local 2 represents a diverse membership of 8,000 members in Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia, with its headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland. OPEIU Local 2 is seeking an experienced Staff Representative who can be an integral part of our growing union.
- Process grievances, including investigation and arbitration preparation
- Negotiate and administer collective bargaining agreements
- Interpret and administer complex legal and contract language
- Conduct mediation and dispute resolution
- Coordinate, train, recruit, and support shop stewards
- Identify and develop new workplace leaders
- Plan and conduct regular bargaining unit meetings
- Implement contract and community campaigns for power at the bargaining table
- Prepare leaflets, bulletins, and other communications
- Conduct internal organizing campaigns
- At least 3 years of experience as a staff representative or the ability to perform the duties of the position
- Experience in successfully bargaining labor contracts, grievance handling, and mobilizing members to take action
- Demonstrated commitment to the labor movement and social justice
- Strong and effective written and verbal skills in a variety of forms, including emails, letters, grievances, settlement agreements, contract proposals, flyers, petitions, and newsletter articles
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with deadlines and to work independently
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, familiar with various email platforms
- Willingness and ability to travel, and to work non-traditional hours including nights and weekends
- Valid driver’s license and insurance, dependable automobile
Salary and Benefits: Salary depending on experience. Benefits include health, dental, vision, life insurance, and pension.
Please email your résumé, including the names and contact information of two references, to Secretary-Treasurer Sarah Levesque: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All inquiries and material submitted will be kept confidential.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
OPEIU Local 2 is committed to diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and interested in applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religions, and genders.
Office and Professional Employees International Union, Local 2
8555 16th Street, Suite 550, Silver Spring, MD 20910
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com