Union Representative/Internal Organizer – Central NY : New York
SEIU Local 200United
Union Representative/Internal Organizer – Central NY
Based in Syracuse, NY
(with travel throughout NY state)
SEIU Local 200United is now hiring a Union Representative/Internal Organizer for human service workers and others – a strategic, high-energy individual with a demonstrated ability to organize people and challenge power in the workplace.
For 100 years, SEIU members have fought for dignity, respect, and better conditions in our workplaces and communities. Our diverse leaders and staff support workers as they speak out for good jobs and better lives for themselves and their families. SEIU Local 200United is a Local chapter of SEIU that is made up of a wide variety of workers (13,000) in public, private, and federal sectors in Upstate New York and Vermont.
- Organize workers through communicating in one on ones and via small meetings to work collectively and build strong unions.
- Mentor and develop leadership among union members, stewards, and officers.
- Working with members to enforce their union contract through the grievance and arbitration process.
- Negotiate union contracts: both leading bargaining at the table and leading every aspect of contract campaigns from drafting proposals to organizing a member contract action team to actions including pickets, rallies, and strike preparation.
- Build external relationships with the community and workers to move the campaign and union movement forward.
- Encourage participation in political activities that hold elected officials accountable to working families.
- Assisting in creating communications materials including leaflets and newsletters.
- Carefully manage and maintain membership data to track and develop member activists, leaders and participation.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people from diverse cultural, economic, and social backgrounds.
- Experience organizing and ideally representing rank-and-file union members.
- Commitment to the goals and principles workers’ rights, direct action, economic justice, and progressive issues.
- Ability to think clearly under pressure.
- Ability to create and follow through with a campaign plan from start to finish.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet established benchmarks and deadlines. Demonstrated ability to problem-solve independently while working as part of a team.
- Strong speaking and writing skills a must.
- Ability to function in a computerized smartphone environment. Functional ability to utilize Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, and social media
- A valid driver’s license and an insured vehicle required.
- Willingness to work long hours, evenings, and weekends as needed.
- Experience negotiating CBAs (creating demands, contract costing, negotiating, running a public pressure campaign) is a plus.
- Experience navigating the grievance process in CBAs (from filing to arbitration) is a plus, as well as resolving issues outside a formal process.
Syracuse, NY. Position requires some travel throughout New York State.
Competitive salary, full benefits package including: 100% employer-paid family health, dental, and life insurance, a defined benefit pension, a supplemental 401K, and a car allowance. This is a salaried position.
Email a cover letter, résumé, and references to: August Schneeberg, Research and Communications Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com