Regional Director : Oregon
United Farm Workers
Based in Oregon
Please note this position is located in the state of Oregon.
The Regional Director is responsible for expanding membership at a significant pace. Develops new organizational strategies that appeal to the workforce. Develops programs that encourage growth of companies with UFW contracts and maximizes membership participation. Utilizes creativity and innovation to develop new representational models with employers, members and the community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
PLANNING AND ADMINISTRATION
Develop, direct and execute regional operational plans and budgets adhering to the UFW vision using adopted management of results (MOR) process.
- Establish processes to identify and maximize financial resources and use technology to control costs.
- Participate in designing and improving representation models.
- Implement standardized administrative programs and procedures.
- Communicate UFW vision and policy statements.
- Encourage the use of cutting edge technologies and require use of database.
- Hire and manage outside consultants.
- Cultivate a philosophy of membership growth and participation by creating effective partnerships, communicating effectively and empowering workers.
- Maintain an organizing culture throughout the UFW and create an environment for large-scale growth.
- Follows approved targeting criteria and approves local organizing targets.
- Identify and utilize leveraging strategies.
- Identify ways UFW relationship can bring value to contract employers.
- Research and develop pilot projects to test bargaining innovations.
- Develop bargaining strategies that encompass industries or geographic areas.
- Develop a philosophy of effective problem solving skills among staff, workers & employers.
- Implement training models for worker boards and execute strategies that encourage effective problem solving among staff, workers and employers under contract.
- Negotiate new contracts and renegotiate current contracts prior to expiration
- Ability to cost out proposals and impacts of proposed changes.
RECRUITMENT & STAFF DEVELOPMENT
- Recruit and hire for key positions.
- Develop and approve staff training programs.
- Develops structures for recruiting, training & retaining volunteers.
- Responsible for timely staff evaluations.
- Encourage professional development and career enhancement for all staff by setting examples and allocating resources for training and development of staff.
- Insures compliance from staff with UFW policies and procedures.
- Insures integration with other UFW Funds and Farm Worker Movement entities.
- Develops and maintains relationships with key employers, industry leaders and monitor key opposition.
- Develops and maintains relationships with key labor, religious, community leaders, politicians and agency heads.
- Serves as UFW spokesperson in assigned region.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES MAY BE ASSIGNED
- Supervises staff.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- HS Diploma or GED and equivalent experience.
- Five (5) years’ experience in contract organizing and representational organizing including one (1) year experience in campaign management
- Ability to design and implement creative and innovative strategies which result in membership growth.
- Must be proficient with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, E-mail and Internet).
- Ability to speak, write, read Spanish and English
- Requires a valid Class “C” Driver’s License and a reliable car.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common journals related to nature of the operation, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from members, government agencies, employers or members of the community. Ability to effectively present information to top management, the public, members, employers and/or boards of directors.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Requires a valid Class “C” Driver’s License.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in this work environment is typically moderate.
Send cover letter and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com