Organizers – Fight for $15 and a Union Campaign : California
National Fast Food Workers Union
Fight for $15 and a Union Campaign
Based in San Diego, Los Angeles, Oakland, San Jose, and Sacramento, CA
Job Type: Full Time
Reports To: Senior Lead Organizer and Coordinator
Supervises: This position does not supervise staff.
Salary: Salaries start at $62,400.
Purpose of Position: To represent and assist the SEIU-NFFWU in organizing fast food workers and implementing organizing goals of the Campaign. This is a bargaining unit position.
About SEIU NFFWU
SEIU NFFWU is working to expand the movement and deepen the successful fights to raise employment standards and unite workers in organizing their union in the fast food industry through national, state and community campaigns.
SEIU NFFWU is affiliated with the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), which has more than 2 million members in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico. NFFWU is united with those 2.2 million members in a shared belief in the dignity of workers and the value of their work, and in a commitment to a more just and humane society.
Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.
To conduct broad and intensive outreach efforts to fast food workers and other low-wage workers by:
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
- Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead campaigns.
- Conducting individual/group meetings with workers to discuss and plan organizing campaigns.
- Motivating individual workers and groups of workers to take action.
- Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on industry sectors.
- Coordinating with workers to gather information that is useful in identifying opportunities for membership growth and mobilization.
- Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and grassroots organizing.
- Possession of excellent listening skills and the ability to comprehend the concerns of others.
- The ability to make and follow through on a work plan.
- Sharp communications skills.
- Basic writing and computer skills.
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Willingness to conduct house visits and work site visits.
- Ability to manage your time independently and carry out work plans with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to travel for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work long and irregular hours, including some nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to motivate and activate others.
- Possession of sharp problem-solving skills.
- Possession of basic map navigation skills a plus.
- Must possess a valid U.S. driver’s license, auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
The position is nationwide. Work is generally performed from a field office setting or other location to complete the required assignments of the position.
Benefits: SEIU NFFWU staff enjoys top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, competitive salaries, generous holiday and vacation policies, and a 401(K) Plan.
- 100% paid health insurance after 30 days of employment.
- NFFWU’s 401k contribution is an automatic 7% and additional matching up to 3%.
- $100 monthly phone allowance.
- $600 Monthly Car allowance if applicable.
- Bilingual pay if applicable.
SEIU NFFWU is an Equal Opportunity employer that values and respects the diversity of its staff. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com