Executive Director – Organizing, Membership, and Strategic Communications : Oregon
Portland State University Chapter of the American Association of University Professors
Organizing, Membership, and Strategic Communications
Based at Portland State University, Portland, OR
Portland State University’s American Association of University Professors (AAUP) chapter seeks an experienced higher ed organizer and communications strategist to join its executive leadership team.
Executive Director: Organizing, Membership, and Strategic Communications
This is a full-time position and an exciting opportunity at a challenging and critical time in AAUP, in higher education, and in the labor movement. The ideal candidate will be ideologically aligned with union work and have strong interpersonal communication skills. Listening with empathy, being responsive to diverse member needs, and being flexible with a willingness to learn are core dispositions needed to be successful in this role.
The Executive Director: Organizing, Membership, and Strategic Communication’s primary responsibilities are aligned with organizing, membership, and strategic communication. The Director will also work in close collaboration with other PSU-AAUP staff members– the Administrative Director and the Executive Director: Contract Enforcement & Bargaining–as well as with elected member leaders. This collaborative work necessitates flexibility and creativity, as well as the ability to step in and out of roles as needed to provide support and assistance to the Executive Leadership Team.
This position reports to the Executive Council, with daily supervision provided by the President.
Who we are:
The Portland State University Chapter of the American Association of University Professors (PSU-AAUP) is a strong and healthy union chapter. Chartered in 1978, PSU-AAUP represents about 1,200 bargaining unit members consisting of instructional and research faculty, as well as academic professionals. It is one of four bargaining units at Portland State University (PSU). PSU-AAUP is also a member of AAUP-Oregon, and recently became affiliated with the American Federation of Teachers (AFT), including the Oregon AFT federation and the national organization.
PSU-AAUP is committed to an organizing model of union work. The strength of our union lies in the energies and collective power of its membership. Information about our union’s governance documents and organizational model can be found on our website: https://psuaaup.net.
Portland State University is in the heart of downtown Portland, Oregon. PSU an urban public university that serves over 23,000 students and is designated as an emerging Hispanic Serving Institution.
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
- Mentor and train members and member leaders in all aspects of organizing
- Responsible for growing membership, fostering member leader development, and engagement of the broad membership with the union
- Facilitate development and implementation of issue and contract campaigns in collaboration with other staff and leadership
- Provide expertise in, develop, and execute communication strategies for contract campaigns, organizing, etc.
- Coordinate with PSU-AAUP leadership and other staff on particular projects and long-range planning
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree and knowledge, experience, and background in higher education
- Five or more years of organizing and/or labor relation experience with member-based organizing
- Demonstrated commitment to empowering workers through the labor movement
- Demonstrated commitment to socioeconomic justice to the benefit of members
- Strong writing, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience working on contract campaigns
- Experience developing and implementing a strategic plan for organizing and lead campaigns on a range of issues in coordination with member organizers and Executive Council
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diversity of roles and people with lived experiences in the PSU community
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, effectively lead others, and achieve goals
- Strong data management skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated marketing and advertising strategy knowledge
- Strong planning, time-management and problem-solving skills
- Willingness to work nights and weekends, as required
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. PSU-AAUP offers an excellent benefits package including generous health insurance, vacation, sick time, and retirement contributions. Yearly cost of living adjustments as well as longevity increases are also part of Association policy.
Submit résumé and cover letter by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Executive Director: Member Organizing-YOUR NAME” in the subject line and include the names and contact information of 3 professional references.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com