Bilingual Administrative Assistant – Bilingual English/Spanish : New York
SEIU Local 32BJ
Bilingual Administrative Assistant
Based in Hudson Valley District + Bronx and Manhattan, NY
With 175,000 members, 32BJ SEIU is the largest union representing property service workers in the country. Our members have fought for and achieved high standards for private and public sector property service workers, and we continue to fight for higher standards for thousands of unorganized service workers.
32BJ represents 6,000 members in the Bronx, Westchester County and the Hudson Valley, and 8,000 members in the Schools, Window Cleaners, Exterminators and Stadiums Divisions, under the direction of a union Vice President. Our members work as security officers, window cleaners, ushers, superintendents, office cleaners, porters and handypersons and door persons.
The Bilingual Administrative Assistant provides administrative support for all union activity assigned by the Vice President, to whom they report.
- Manage the reception area in the Hudson Valley office; monitor traffic of members coming to the district office to file grievances, and facilitate group meetings;
- Manage meeting spaces to ensure compliance with COVID guidelines, including space for member group meetings, grievance hearings, arbitration meetings and case-related depositions;
- Provide logistical and staff support for rallies, member meetings and trainings, events and conferences as needed. This includes booking space, negotiating with caterers, bus companies and other vendors as needed. (There’s currently a low demand for this type of support, but we expect things to return to normal in Fall 2021.)
- Provide administrative support for the union’s grievance work and processes, including but not limited to:
- Initiating and assigning cases to staff in the Union’s grievance tracking system (CRM);
- Processing Field Rep reassignments in the member database (V3);
- Processing and sending grievance-related correspondence;
- Liaise with operations departments based in our headquarters office in Manhattan, including,
- Work with the IT department to troubleshoot laptops and printers;
- Execute Human Resource processes in the HR management system, including new hires and timesheet processing;
- Interface with Office Services and facilities for any facility-related issues, including security, climate control, cleaning needs, work space, building access, etc.
- Provide support for data and metrics systems, including data updates and running reports
- Other administrative support including processing invoices, mass mailings, ordering supplies, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experienced administrative assistance with track record successfully working in fast-paced office.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point. Ability and interest in learning internal data and workflow systems required.
- Strong customer service skills, including experience working with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent communications skills – verbal and written – including effective business writing.
- Demonstrated ability handling confidential material and information in a professional manner.
- Ability to plan work, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Willingness and ability to work outside of core business hours including evenings and weekend as needed.
- Willingness to travel to NYC to work on projects/support for meetings, bargaining sessions, trainings etc. held in person at the NYC office.
- Experience with, and commitment to, social justice issues not required but are a plus.
- Bilingual Spanish/English required.
Compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package, including employer-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for full time employees and their qualified dependents.
Applicants may send a résumé and letter of interest to Human Resources at: HR@seiu32bj.org Please use “Bilingual Assistant” in the Subject line of your email.
32BJ is an equal opportunity employer. People of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
“Local 32BJ has implemented a vaccine mandate. Bona fide religious and ADA exemptions are permitted with additional safety measures.”
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com