Internal Organizer/Contract Negotiator : Massachusetts
SEIU Local 888
Internal Organizer/Contract Negotiator
Based in Braintree, MA
Job Title: Internal Organizer/Contract Negotiator
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Location: Braintree, MA
Bargaining Unit: United Staff Worker Union (USWU)
The Internal Organizer is responsible for engaging and mobilizing members and developing leadership in SEIU 888 chapters. This position reports to the Director of Internal Organizing. This includes attending to the needs of Local 888 members and providing these services in an effective and efficient and friendly manner will ensure that inquiries are dealt within established time limits.
Internal Organizing Skills
- Assist in planning, organizing, and directing member leader development
- Organize new employee orientations about significance of membership in SEIU Local 888.
- Engage bargaining unit members at worksites and in union meetings to ensure Local 888 is addressing issues and to ensure members know they are the union
- Mobilize bargaining unit members around worksite, contractual, or political issues of concern to them
- Develop, train, and mentor stewards and members with leadership potential
- Deliver general information, (i.e. Spark, special announcements, events, etc) to the chapters in a timely and effective manner
- Effectively recruit member leaders for trainings and other events
- Effectively promote COPE membership to chapters
Contract Negotiating Skills
- Understand contract language and its relationship to existing laws
- Identify Unfair Labor Practices
- Write and propose new contract language
- Develop strategies for contract campaigns
- Coordinate bargaining with others and prioritize effectively
- Properly train and develop bargaining teams
- Integrate MOA(s) into final contracts timely and accurately
- Ability to effectively explain the difference between a gripe and a grievance to members,
- Ensure all deadlines are met
- Regularly review, manage, and track grievances to help deliver quick results
- Investigate grievances thoroughly
- Request relevant information
- Interview and prepare potential witnesses
- Prepare and present cases at grievance steps prior to arbitration
- Engage in settlement/resolution discussions within timeframes
- Communicate effectively with the grievant and chapter leader throughout the grievance process
- Work toward having member leaders take the lead role in all grievance steps prior to arbitration through coaching and training
- Effectively motivate and mobilize workers to participate in union activities/programs
- Identification and development of member leaders
- Work independently and balance conflicting demands successfully
- Optimize utilization of local resources; ability to learn and make use of new skills
- Ability to be flexible and adaptive, maintain a productive attitude, and take initiative in the work
- Establish and cultivate respectful working relationships with people from diverse backgrounds, including members and other staff
- Knowledge of and willingness to utilize technology as needed (word processing, email, internet, databases, etc.)
May be required to work long and irregular hours, and when necessary work weekends and holidays and to travel as needed. Must have a valid driver’s license and functional automobile.
This is a bargaining unit position covered by the agreement between SEIU Local 888 and the Union Field Staff Union. Salary placement commensurate with experience. Benefit package pursuant to union contract.
Respond to: email@example.com, with cover letter and résumé.
SEIU Local 888 is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com