Researcher – Labor Relations Specialist : Minnesota
Minnesota Nurses Association
345 Randolph Avenue #200, St. Paul, MN 55102
Fax: 651-695-7000 Web: www.mnnurses.org
Researcher – Labor Relations Specialist
Based out of St. Paul, MN
POSITION TITLE: Researcher – Labor Relations Specialist
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Director of Field Operations
Works to promote and achieve the goals and priorities of the Minnesota Nurses Association (MNA). Working with a team to plan and implement the initiatives of MNA in accordance with Association policy. This position will split time spent between assigned representational work and research work. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Negotiating Collective Bargaining agreements for organized bargaining units.
- Organizing members to advance MNA’s position on various contract proposals, grievances, or other strategic campaigns.
- Investigating potential contract violations and representing nurses throughout the grievance process.
- Answering member questions and concerns regarding their contract and other workplace issues.
- Representing nurses in labor-management committees.
- Participating in member education and training, in conjunction with other departments, on campaign research and strategy.
- Analyzing the financial and quality records of public agencies and publicly funded private agencies.
- Creatively applying traditional and non-traditional research methods to union campaigns.
- Conducting industry and political power analysis for strategic targeting, identifying key industry trends, and developing innovative policy or regulatory strategies.
- Developing and implementing campaign and strategic research strategies and developing appropriate research findings.
- Participating thoughtfully in developing strategic research and campaign strategy and providing recommendations for the most effective use of research for Sr. level staff and member leaders.
- Independently preparing professional level reports for multi-department campaign teams to use for contract negotiations, media persuasion, member education, and presentations before public boards and commissions on behalf of the members and the union.
- Applying research findings to support communication strategies, developing communication related products such as, media “sound bites” or memorable elements pertinent for media or membership, interesting and effective presentations for member and staff training (throughout the continuum of novice-expert) and persuasive reports and presentations.
- Serving as a Local Union expert witness in mediation, arbitration, contract negotiations, public agency and quasi-public agency meetings with elected officials and high level local, state or federal government authorities.
- Leading research training for members and staff in simple research projects including budget analysis, industry-wide wage and benefit comparisons and how to develop costing analysis for contract bargaining.
- Ability to manage the research component of large and strategic research projects as a part of a multi-department campaign team.
- Other duties as assigned by the Manager of Field Operations.
- Travel is required, including overnight stays. Work from home is a possibility, particularly for those who live in Greater Minnesota.
Education: Bachelor’s degree is preferred. Comprehensive Campaign Research certificate or training preferred. Equivalent work experience will be considered.
Experience: A minimum of 1 year union representational work and 1 year research work. Demonstrated knowledge of unions, labor relations, and labor law required. Excellent analytical and problem-solving, research & quantitative skills are required. Experience as a union advocate in areas of internal and/or external organizing, contract negotiations, and contract administration is required. Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in the health care industry is preferred. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to lead and motivate others are essential.
SALARY: Salary range is $76,128 – $140,358 with initial placement on the wage scale depending on experience and qualifications. Step increases per collective bargaining agreement.
MNA is an EEO/AA Employer.
CONTACT: Send your résumé and cover letter to Wesley DeBerry, MNA Human Resources Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com