Field Staff – West Central Florida CLC, AFL-CIO : Florida
West Central Florida CLC, AFL-CIO
Based in Lakeland, FL
EMPLOYED BY: Florida AFL-CIO
REPORTS TO: Florida AFL-CIO Field Director, upon coordination with the West Central Florida Central Labor Council (CLC) President or designee.
OFFICE LOCATION: UFCW Local 1625 – 5600 US Hwy 98 N Suite 1, Lakeland, FL 33809, however, this position will represent communities in the twelve counties within the greater Tampa Bay region listed below and frequent travel will be required in this area. Time spent working at the Lakeland office will be on an as needed basis.
CLC JURISDICTION: The CLC jurisdiction consists of Citrus, Sumter, Hernando, Pasco, Pinellas, Hillsborough, Polk, Manatee, Hardee, Highlands, Desoto, and Sarasota counties.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
- $35,000 – $38,000, commensurate with experience
- Health plan, retirement plan and vacation/sick leave provided, as well as covered expense reimbursement
START DATE: ASAP
JOB PURPOSE: This employee is to work with the Florida AFL-CIO Field Director, upon coordination with the CLC President to plan and implement program criteria and strategies to organize the local labor movement and achieve political and legislative objectives and increase Organized Labor’s influence at the Central Labor Council (CLC), State and National level. To provide organizing support to affiliated local unions and to expand Organized Labor’s agenda by forming alliances with constituency groups and community, religious, and allied organizations.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES of this position include but are not limited to:
BUILD PARTICIPATION IN PRIORITY ACTIVITIES
- Work effectively with the Florida AFL-CIO Field Director and CLC leadership to assist in developing and implementing a Strategic Plan.
- Work closely with State Fed and National AFL-CIO staff to advance labor’s agenda at the CLC level.
- Increase participation in CLC meetings, rallies, and events.
- Develop a permanent mobilization infrastructure that expands labor’s ability to create larger, more creative, and more strategic impact/presence.
- Identify local union coordinators to expand the mobilization network within local unions and households.
- Build membership of new local union affiliates within the Central Labor Council.
- Chart local union steward/rep/organizing meetings and events and serve as a liaison for the CLC.
- Work with the Florida AFL-CIO Field Director, CLC and affiliate leadership to develop work plans of sustainable activities for an extended duration to accomplish strategic goals and/or outcomes.
- Assist in organizing logistics, turnout, and content for events of the Central Labor Council.
- Recruit membership of new local union affiliates.
- Assist with CLC special functions/events such as Labor Day, dinner/dances, fundraisers, and socials.
- Assist the State Fed in statewide activities such as the Biennial Convention, COPE Convention and other trainings, as needed.
- Function as conduit between National AFL-CIO, State Fed and CLC Membership.
- As authorized, report CLC Activities to State and National AFL-CIO.
BUILD SUPPORT FOR ORGANIZING
- Assist area unions in achieving their organizing goals by working with area leaders to develop an organizing assistance plan that may include a roundtable, political and community leverage, home visits, multi-language organizers, etc.
- Assist affiliated local unions through education and training on mobilizing their membership and building local union infrastructure.
- Coordinate assistance to local unions in organizing campaigns, including rallies, traditional and social media communication campaigns and volunteer activities.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with activists from the labor movement.
BUILD A STRONG POLITICAL PROGRAM
- Assist in developing and implementing a plan that expands labor’s political power.
- Engage with elected officials and seek an understanding and support for organizing and working family issues.
- Mobilize grassroots activists to play key roles in actions and meetings with state legislators and members of Congress, city and county political officials and other appropriate governmental entities.
- Work with the Florida AFL-CIO Field Director, CLC leadership and affiliates to build mobilization capacity to support in-district lobbying on local, state, and national issues.
- Coordinate legislative campaign strategies, including varied modes of communications, protests, lobbying, etc., as directed by the Florida AFL-CIO Field Director in conjunction with the State Fed and CLC President.
- Assist in planning and conducting screenings of political candidates.
- Recruit activists for Working Families Lobby Corps.
- Coordinate phone bank, canvassing, and GOTV activities during political campaigning.
- Report activities using appropriate modes, such as LAN, email, spreadsheets, etc.
BUILD COMMUNITY RELATIONSHIPS AND COALITIONS
- Facilitate the development of close ties and effective working relationships between labor leadership, constituency groups and like-minded community, religious, and allied organizations in the interest of mobilizing collective power on joint campaigns.
- Strengthen the linkage between the Florida AFL-CIO, central labor councils, local unions and constituency groups.
- Work with community groups to increase union outreach.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with activists from community and advocacy groups.
BUILD COMMUNICATION AND MEDIA NETWORKS
- Plan and execute earned media events, including press conferences and rallies.
- Assist in developing and implementing communications and messaging using traditional modes, social media and evolving technology.
- Work with local affiliates to develop workplace and other communications systems to better educate and activate local union members in support of endorsed candidates and issue campaigns.
- Develop and maintain updated, fax blast, phone text, and e-mail list serve for the area, as well as sub-groups.
- Assist in gathering information for database(s) of unions and community allies.
- Provide training and expertise to develop/support the CLC Media Action Team and union leaders so as to enlist appropriate leaders/spokespersons to communicate to the media during various campaigns and activities.
- Ensure that columns and Letters to the Editor are written and published, and radio and TV interviews are granted and aired.
- Live in and work within the designated CLC/Chapter jurisdiction, operating from a base of one or more offices.
- Able to work long and varied hours, including nights and weekends.
- Union experience, community organizing, political, issue and legislative campaigns, or other related fields.
- Ability to establish collaborative working relationships with union leaders, community & constituency groups.
- Ability to plan, organize and multitask various projects and campaigns.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfortable working in diverse environments.
- Self-motivated and willing to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Ability to produce basic newsletters and leaflets.
- Proficient in the use of the Microsoft Suite of programs, Databases, and Social Media.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and maintain reliable transportation.
Please send résumé and cover letter to:
Director of Operations, Helen Parker via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Monday, March 29th, 2021
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com