Union Representative / Organizer : Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont
United Automobile, Aerospace & Agricultural Implement Workers
UAW Local 2322
Union Representative / Organizer
Based in Holyoke, MA
(involves some travel)
Position: Full Time (40 hours) Union Representative / Organizer. UAW Local 2322 is based in Holyoke, Massachusetts, however this position will involve some travel around the region.
Hours of Work: Flexible full-time work schedule (can be long & unpredictable based on membership needs)
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
- Coordinating member-driven and member-lead contract negotiations with a racial equity lens
- Working with members and stewards to administer and enforce contracts, resolve disputes, process grievances, arbitrations and Unfair Labor Practices and using these as organizing opportunities
- Organizing and facilitating member trainings
- Identify, recruit, train and develop worksite leaders
- Conduct new member orientations to organize new members and introduce them to the values and vision of their union
- Engage in internal member mobilization activities around workplace issues, racial equity and justice issues
- Organize workers to address worksite, racial equity, and economic justice issues through collective action
- Maintain regular and effective communication with workers
- Facilitate labor-management meetings in worksites
- Building and strengthening stewards networks
- Organize and participate in rallies, demonstrations, and meetings (including but not limited to: Joint Council meetings, stewards’ meetings, committee meetings, coalition meetings, etc.)
- Participate in and recruit members to participate in legislative and electoral campaign activities
- Develop fliers, posters, buttons, slogans and other campaign related materials and items
- Help develop the Union’s message by talking to members, stewards and union leaders, and articulate this message among the membership at large
- Keep e-board and joint council advised of any developments regarding potential problems, hot issues, and activities union needs to be involved in
- Managing electronic lists
Skills and Qualities Preferred:
- A demonstrated commitment to the labor movement and racial equity and justice
- Familiarity with human services and education workplaces
- Prior organizing experience
- Past union experience, including collective bargaining, grievance handling, organizing (new and internal) and first contract campaigns
- Familiarity with labor and employment law
- Basic legal research experience
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation, and conflict transformation skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and skill in word processing and excel
- Detail oriented
- Ability to work with and take direction from the Local President, Executive Board and Joint Council
- Creative and strategic thinker
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Patience, persistence and flexibility
- Computer literate: email, Google Suite, social media, word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel), internet usage
- A properly insured, registered vehicle and a valid Driver’s License is required
- Skills in languages other than English preferred
UAW 2322 values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, Black people, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, immigrants, and veterans to apply. UAW 2322 is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
Starting Pay Rate: $1210 week with generous benefits which include a fully employer paid BlueCross BlueShield Health Plan, Dental & Vision, substantial monthly child care reimbursements, student loan reimbursements, weekly car allowance, gas reimbursements, phone reimbursements, generous PTO, and other benefits which create more equitable and fair working conditions. UAW 2322 staff are unionized with IWW 650.
To be considered please submit a résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and interviews will start in late April.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com