State Black Power Network Organizing & Training Manager : California
State Black Power Network Organizing & Training Manager
Based in Los Angeles, CA
The wave of mass protests that has swept the country in 2020 were sparked by systemic and anti-Black racism within law enforcement and the criminal justice system. Whether it is homelessness and gentrification, mass incarceration and overcriminalization, deep educational inequities, rampant health disparities, the widening economic and wealth inequality gap, tax policies inequities — Black communities across California are disproportionately impacted. At the heart of these conditions is persistent and enduring systemic and anti-Black racism. A key question is what will make this moment different in addressing the longstanding issues of systemic and anti-Black racism.
California Calls is a statewide alliance of local and regional social and racial justice groups working to increase the civic participation and power of communities most impacted by racial inequities and growing inequality. Over the past five years California Calls has designed and implemented two projects (the African American Civic Engagement Project and the Black Census and Redistricting Hub) with the goal of increasing the capacities and power of local and regional Black-led and/or serving grassroots organizations to address the problems of systemic racism and anti-Black racism.
Based on the success of these projects, and the persistent problems of systemic and anti-Black racism, California Calls plans to incubate and spin off an ongoing, independent statewide Black organizing and power-building network composed of local and regional grassroots organizations in key Black communities throughout the state. This network will aim to create measurable increases in the capacity of participating Black-led organizations, encourage growth and collaboration within the ecosystem of Black-led organizations across the state, and develop substantial, measurable progress in key issue areas. We are seeking an Organizing & Training Manager to lead the development and implementation of strategic organizing and training and capacity building programs to advance power-building and campaign goals needed to transform quality of life for all Black people.
Reporting to the Associate Director, the Organizing & Training Manager will serve as a critical member of the team, driving the power building and training and capacity building programs with our network partners across the state. This position will be integral in shaping multi-dimensional organizing strategies that achieve the network’s power building and campaign goals, and will support the engagement and organizing of network partners to develop and implement local, regional and statewide power-building plans. In addition, the Organizing & Training Manager will develop, implement and support training and capacity building plans that deepen and expand network partners’ capacities, and develop and sharpen the skills needed to successfully implement multi-dimensional organizing strategies. Applicants should have demonstrated experience in community organizing, advocacy, and electoral campaigns, as well as experience in training and capacity building, coalition building, and project management.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement strategic power-building and organizing plans in collaboration with network staff and partners to help achieve the network’s short term and long term goals.
- Develop and implement tailored training and capacity building plans for network partners, and the network at large, based on organizing strategies, campaign plans, and individual partner needs.
- Drive network partner engagement, organizing, and technical assistance to develop and successfully implement organizing and training program plans.
- Develop and sustain relationships with key allies and participate in coalition spaces to inform and advance campaigns, organizing, and power building efforts.
- Coordinate data management in support of base building and civic engagement programs, and support partner data management needs, training, and technical assistance.
- Manage and support civic engagement and organizing tools and technology, and provide training and technical support to network partners to successfully utilize tools and technology.
- Coordinate with the senior leadership team to develop and manage organizing and training and capacity building budgets and to coordinate network partner regrants in support of programs.
- Lead the development of reports and analysis to evaluate program performance, inform program and partner needs, and support funder reporting as needed.
- Lead the recruitment, management and development of organizing staff, and consultants and vendors as needed, to support growing organizing and training needs.
Qualifications and Skills
- Knowledge of the best practices in training and capacity building
- Experience in training and capacity building in multiple forms of power: community and electoral organizing, advocacy, lobbying, narrative and communications
- Experience in developing and leading voter engagement, community/labor organizing or social justice campaigns.
- Experience in managing phone banking and canvass programs, outreach teams, volunteer coordination, community mobilizations and/or community events.
- Experience in developing and leading training and convenings for various audiences.
- Knowledge and experience working with Black communities in California.
- Previous experience in a project or program management role.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement successful strategic programmatic plans.
- Experience in team management or coordination.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Computer skills: strong knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, their Google Suite equivalents and/or database software.
- Excellent writing, verbal communications, presentation, and analytical skills.
- Reporting to Associate Director of Programs
- Salary range: $70,000-85,000 annually with comprehensive benefits
- Valid driver’s license, personal car insurance, a personal vehicle in good working condition with valid registration.
- No later than the first day of employment must provide acceptable documents for proof of identity and employment authorization in the United States for Form I-9.
BIPOC, Women and LGBTQI encouraged to apply.
Please submit cover letter and résumé to email@example.com
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com