National Organizer : Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Yukon
Graphic Communications Conference of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Assignments based within the U.S. and Canada
This Graphic Communications Conference of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (GCC) seeks a self-motivated individual with a passion for union organizing that has the ability to plan, lead and conduct NLRB union elections that result in nonunion facilities voting to become union without close supervision and working directly with the GCC’s President and Secretary-Treasurer and Local union leaders throughout the country. Candidates should have familiarity with using a wide array of activities to promote organizing including targeting, home visits, leadership recruitment and development, training volunteers, running elections, and initiating card check.
The GCC represents workers in all craft and skill areas in printing and related fields, including high end commercial print, plastics for the food and medical industries, packaging including corrugated box and paper food containers, metal cans for food and industrial liquids, engraving and gravure for flooring and wallpaper, credit cards, newspapers, magazines, catalogs, books, government employees who print US and Foreign currency, passports and secure IDs. We have members throughout the United States and Canada. The GCC was created after the Graphic Communications International Union voted to join forces with the Teamsters in 2004.
- Research potential organizing targets. Analyze data and apply other criteria to assess possible targets of organizing. Conduct and lead or participate in the investigation of organizing targets to gather data and information, build lists of workers, assess worker interest in the union, and scout out the physical plant all without divulging the union’s presence.
- Draft organizing campaign plans that include resource and staff needs, as well as operational activities, and ensuring that the role of each team member is set forth in the overall plan and effectively communicated. Implement organizing campaign plans.
- Develop and implement messaging to build interest in and support for the union and to counteract employer efforts to dissuade interest in the union from first contact through the election.
- Develop and implement Organizer development trainings and activities for Local Unions and District Councils.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in organizing nonunion workers with positive results.
- Extensive knowledge of union organizing practices and principles.
- Extensive knowledge of labor laws with respect to union organizing campaigns.
- Ability to conduct research and gather information to evaluate targets, develop strategies and formulate conclusions.
- Ability to lead, train and coordinate Local Union and District Council officers, volunteer organizers and committee members.
- Ability to work effectively with Local Union/District Council staff on a project basis.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists and to interpret a variety of instructions provided in written and oral form.
- Ability to build and maintain support among non-union workers for a union.
- Ability to plan strategically and respond quickly to attempts to thwart unionization efforts.
- Demonstrated leadership and motivational skills.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, including excellent “one-on-one” interpersonal communications.
- Familiarity with building Facebook pages, text message chains, creating video presentations and other forms of electronic communication.
- Fluent bilingual skills are desirable.
- Travel, Driving, and Work Hours:
- Driving, plane travel, temporary assignments and extended work hours throughout the US and Canada are required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
Please submit résumé and cover letter to: email@example.com.
Salary commensurate with experience and an excellent, comprehensive benefits package.
GCC/IBT is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate against an employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com