Account Supervisor – Digital Organizing : California, District of Columbia
May be based in Los Angeles, CA or Washington, DC
Account Supervisor, Digital Organizing
DC, BOS, OAK, LA, NYC /
Digital Organizing / Full-time
We’re looking for an Account Supervisor to join one of the best firms in the do-gooder business in our Digital Organizing Practice Area.
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is meaningful. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
- We run innovative and strategic online advocacy, digital organizing, and electoral campaigns that build grassroots power and create lasting change. We work with progressive groups working on everything from economic justice to climate change to global poverty – think Planned Parenthood, NRDC, big national unions, healthcare advocacy groups, and more. Our electoral work exclusively focuses on outside organizations, not candidate campaigns, because our goal is not just to win an election but to build long-term organizing infrastructure that can hold people in power accountable.
- Day-to-day, we’re figuring out how to win elections, drive the narrative, influence policy, hold corporations and politicians accountable, recruit activists, make the most of news moments, and leave no idea unconsidered that might build power. We have a particular focus on developing new models to mobilize infrequent voters of color. We use every tool and tactic in the book, from social media to digital ads to broadcast and 1:1 SMS to virtual phone banks and relational organizing, integrating as tightly as possible with on-the-ground organizing and media advocacy.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Work with clients and colleagues to help conceive winning issue and voter turnout campaigns.
- Develop strategies to best apply pressure to your campaign targets and that complement what’s happening in the press and in the field.
- Maintain the client relationship by staying in close contact with clients throughout the day via email and phone, leading weekly check-in calls, and presenting at big strategy meetings.
- Be accountable for our overall work with the client, making sure deliverables are moving the client to achieve their goals, and jumping in to project manage as needed, managing up and down as necessary to get the work done.
- Develop compelling action alerts, petitions, social media creative, microsites, video scripts, and shareable images.
- Oversee the many details involved in launching campaigns using your client’s email and/or SMS tools, including pitching in with set up when things are busy.
- Distill email, web, advertising, and social campaign data into the important lessons that could change how a campaign performs.
- Assign and review the work of junior staff on each client team, providing feedback, coaching, and guidance at every step.
- Devise new systems for our team to share knowledge, create new things, and grow as campaigners.
- Drive conversations and processes that help build inclusive spaces within your teams and across M+R.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly – including carefully tracking all of your client hours as well as pitching in with small office management responsibilities.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 7-8 years of organizing experience developing successful issue and/or electoral campaigns. Experience in campaigning focused on racial and/or economic justice is required.
- Experience developing and implementing email, SMS, social, and advertising strategies that drive results, not just online, but in the field and with the media.
- Ability to communicate persuasively in a way that articulates your ideas and conveys your expertise, whether on the phone, in-person, or in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to run meetings to identify project goals and ensure successful outcomes.
- Experience supporting the professional development of more junior staff.
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Acute attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize your time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Strong ability to write clearly, concisely, and logically.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills on the job, including learning new technologies.
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Capability to tackle big projects by breaking them down into smaller pieces.
- Ability to see a problem and propose a solution.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Understanding of how your words and actions affect others.
- Kindness and consideration for others.
- Experience bringing a lens of inclusivity to all of your interactions with colleagues.
- Passion for the role that your work plays in creating change in the world.
- Drive to work collaboratively – soliciting ideas, seeing each other’s perspectives, and always doing what you say you will do.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that seeking and receiving feedback is part of the learning process.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Have managed direct voter engagement and turnout campaigns (e.g. canvassing, voter registration, digital mobilization), especially of infrequent voters and/or groups that have been typically left out of the democratic process.
- Have successfully developed and/or overseen scaled volunteer programs (e.g. peer-to-peer texting, relational organizing, scaled phonebanking).
- Demonstrated familiarity with voter data systems and/or electoral tests.
- Have worked in an agency setting or at another consulting firm.
- Been directly involved in message testing or research.
Salary, benefits, and some perks:
This is an exempt status, unionized position, represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild. The salary is $79,000 with eligibility for an approximate $6,600 year-end bonus depending on start date and firmwide performance. We also offer a generous benefits package, plus some perks:
- Three weeks’ vacation as well as paid sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental, and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with quarterly employer contributions and an employer match;
- Professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit;
- Regular brainstorms where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of benefits depending on which office you’re in (once we’re back open!). Free lunch once a week. Snack breaks. Cold brew coffee on tap. Records and record players.
- While our physical offices are closed, we offer reimbursements for cell phones and internet, plus a small monthly working from home stipend to make your work-at-home life a bit more comfortable.
The Fine Print
Due to COVID, our offices are closed through at least June 2021. Our primary concern is the care and health of our employees. We are closely monitoring the situation and have yet to determine when our offices will reopen. This position is not a permanent remote role and under normal circumstances, is located in any one of the following offices full-time:
1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
11 Park Place, New York, NY
262 Washington St, Boston, MA
1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
1275 East 6th St, Los Angeles, CA
To Apply: click HERE!
No calls please.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are communicators, marketers, fundraisers, and campaigners who unleash the power of people to do good. We work exclusively with nonprofits fighting for a just and sustainable world.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com