Senior Contract Enforcement Specialist : California
SEIU Local 521
Senior Contract Enforcement Specialist
Based in Salinas, CA
Reports to: Director of Member Resources Center
Under general supervision, the Senior Contract Enforcement Specialist processes advanced level grievances and arbitrations for the Local Union in a small call center setting. Working with minimal supervision and with the assistance of the union’s counsel, to assist in preparing cases before Public Employee Relations Board (PERB), National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) and Civil Service in coordination with the Regional Director, for example.
Candidates have shown the ability to develop curriculum to support the development of Stewards and to develop their skillsets in leading trainings as well, including Joint labor-management trainings.
Additionally, under the direction of the Chief Elected Officer or their designee, the Senior Contract Enforcement Specialist will assist and support the local union’s work to accomplish the vision statement of the Local, including GOTV assignments. When assigning political work to a Senior Contract Enforcement Specialist, deadlines and hearings will be taken into account.
- Advocate for workers’ rights through contract interpretation, language development, etc., effectively managing the union’s response in collective bargaining or campaigns;
- Represent the union in grievances at the pre-arbitration and arbitration levels (includes backlog panels, personnel boards, and adjustment boards), including scheduling meetings and hearings with employers; preparing files; meeting with members and stewards to gather supporting documentation; striking arbitrators; researching cases, precedent decisions, and bargaining history; prepping witnesses; presenting cases; and working with limited to no attorneys;
- Coordinate with research, communications and political departments for local wide campaigns and/or issues.
- Coordinate the Grievance/Discipline Appeals panel, including recruiting and training panel members, preparing paperwork related to appeals, facilitating hearings, working with Internal Organizers, appellants, and Stewards to prepare cases.
- Train rank-and-file Stewards in all of the above and other related topics that help enforce member’s contracts;
- Help develop the skillset of Contract Enforcement Specialists and/or Stewards in the local and help mentor and coach their skillsets in the department and Member Resource Center;
- Coordinate with Union staff on Local-wide campaigns and representational work, as assigned;
- Analyze, review, and identify trends in representation data collected that will help develop contractual language, recommendations, and/or potential campaigns within the local;
- Support, communicate and coordinate effectively with Internal Organizers, regional directors, coordinators, and member Leaders on group grievances and campaign development.
A minimum of 2 (two) years’ successful background and experience at a high-level with some or all of the following:
- Collective bargaining
- Employer relations
- Contract administration
- Enforcement and interpretation
These skills are normally be attained through experience as a union worksite organizer/field representative/business agent or attorney/paralegal.
Additional qualifications include:
- Demonstrated commitment to the values, vision, and mission of SEIU Local 521;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Extensive knowledge of public and private sector labor laws, contract interpretation and grievance/arbitration theory;
- Extensive experience handling classification studies and negotiations;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse groups and communities of workers;
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours including weekends, evenings, and holidays;
- Proficient typing skills and experience in Microsoft Suite programs, ability to use a computer and type.
SEIU Local 521 employees enjoy excellent leave and benefits, including:
- Fully paid dependent health, vision, dental, disability, and life insurance
- Employer-paid SEIU pension plan
- Matched 401(k) plan
- Liberal vacation, sick and comp time
Submit résumé and cover letter HERE.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Local 521 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. Local 521 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com