Project Organizer – Kansas Higher-Ed Project : Kansas
Kansas Higher-Ed Project
Based in Lawrence, KS
This is a full-time project-based position to work on an organizing campaign in Lawrence, KS. This project is run by AFT Kansas. Organizers are responsible for a variety of aspects of external organizing including building relationships with workers, developing issues-based organizing plans for assigned areas, recruiting and sustaining motivation of organizing committee members and activists, having 1:1 conversation with potential members to ask them to join the union, and working with the organizing committee to plan and implement member-to-member outreach drives. Union organizing experience preferred.
- Willing to work long and irregular hours
- Dedicated to social and economic justice, and Higher education access
- Be in possession of an insured vehicle and valid driver’s license
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse population
- Have strong communications skills
- Must be competent in basic computer/web functions, and social media platforms
- Be motivated, responsible, organized, professional and detail-oriented
- Be able to work independently while also being able to incorporate constructive feedback and direction from the campaign Lead and campaign Director.
- At least 1 year of previous labor and/or community organizing, a background in higher educational issues is preferred
- Experienced in community, student, or labor activism is a plus
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Organize and mobilize workers
- Attend regular meetings with supervisors and team to discuss progress and plan activities
- One-on-one visits, site visits, meetings, and other interaction with members and potential members
- Enter assessments and other data collected in a database on a regular basis
- Occasionally, be assigned to other parts of the state or country as required
- Take direction on activities to grow membership and accomplish goals
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits are comprehensive and competitive. Fully paid health benefits, dental benefits, and paid leave includes vacation, personal, and sick days; travel and expense reimbursements.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit cover letter, résumé and at least 3 references by clicking on the link provided below –
Equal Employment Opportunity and all are encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com