Coordinator of Contract Administration : New York
Professional Staff Congress, AFT Local 2334
Coordinator of Contract Administration
Based in New York City, NY
The Professional Staff Congress, AFT Local 2334, is a progressive, activist union representing 30,000 faculty and staff at The City University of New York. The PSC is seeking to hire an experienced individual who will increase the union’s effectiveness in enforcing contracts and expanding the reach of academic labor unionism through working with the diverse instructional staff PSC represents. These are professional, unionized positions.
Responsibilities: With some latitude for independent decision-making under the direction of the Director of Contract Administration, administers the collective bargaining agreement for the CUNY instructional staff represented by PSC and is responsible for implementation of the policies and procedures of the established grievance process:
- Investigates, prepares and presents grievances at step one and step two; negotiates settlement agreements with management representatives at CUNY;
- Works with chapter leadership on contract enforcement and labor-management issues affecting faculty and professional staff and on implementation of strategies for enforcement of complex and cross-campus contractual issues
- Maintains an effective system of follow up on member inquiries, workplace issues and grievances with staff and member grievance counselors, including digital reporting;
- Oversees rank and file grievance representatives who respond to member inquiries and in building worksite participation, and educating and organizing around contractual rights and grievances and using electronic databases;
- Assists with the implementation of grievance counselor training,
- Researches, analyzes and prepares reports on contract enforcement issues;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive trade unionism;
- 5 years’ experience or more as a union grievance representative or union-side labor lawyer and demonstrated ability to interpret and administer collective bargaining agreements; experience in higher education and in negotiating grievance settlement agreements is a plus;
- Demonstrated experience working with union staff and activists;
- Demonstrated organizing experience and ability to work in a team environment;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; experience working with databases;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to pay attention to details;
- Experience communicating and working with a diverse constituency;
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Baccalaureate; more advanced degree in labor and industrial relations or law is a plus;
- At least 5-10 years’ experience in higher education or public sector labor relations,
- Knowledge of standard office computer software;
- 3 full-time employment references.
Compensation: Competitive salary, based on experience; excellent benefit package
The Professional Staff Congress is an equal opportunity employer.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application deadline: March 9, 2020 or until position filled
Send cover letter and résumé to:
Barbara Gabriel, Professional Staff Congress
61 Broadway, 15th floor
NY, NY 10006
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com