Organizer-in-Training – External Organizing Department : Minnesota
SEIU Healthcare Minnesota
External Organizing Department
Based in St. Paul, MN
SEIU Healthcare Minnesota is a union representing 35,000 health care workers who have united to build strong communities, a health care system that works for everyone, and to reclaim the American Dream.
We are looking to fill an Organizer-in-Training position in the External Organizing Department. The position is a learning/training position with a commitment of one year if person continues to meet performance and behavioral expectations. The OiT position may lead to a permanent position, once the yearlong training is complete.
- Support and lead diverse workers during organizing drives.
- Perform other tasks needed in an organizing campaign, including research, list-building, data entry, charting, and creating event calendars, newsletters and campaign flyers.
- Communicate individually with workers through house visits and phone calls.
- Assess, move and test workers who want to organize.
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
- Identifying, recruiting and developing worker leaders.
- Understand and clearly explain labor rights and contract language.
- Function with a high degree of independence, doing continuous organizing at assigned facilities.
- Establish rapport with workers in widely diversified ethnic, social and economic groups, and experiences of disability.
- Creatively and effectively fight back against employers’ anti-union campaigns.
- File election petitions with the National Labor Relations Board.
- Other responsibilities as may be assigned to meet the needs of the Local.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice.
- Ability and willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
- Excellent listening, oral and written communication skills.
- Basic computer literacy and ability to learn the organization’s technology tools.
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team.
- Willingness to conduct work site and home visits.
- Strong planning, time-management and problem-solving skills.
- Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license, proof of auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
- Ability and willingness to travel, as needed
- Fluency in languages other than English highly preferred.
- Excellent listening skills, especially the ability to draw out people’s individual stories by asking open-ended questions.
- Ability to communicate clearly with people from widely varying ethnic, social and economic groups, and experiences of disability.
- High School Diploma or GED required; Secondary Education preferred.
Qualified applicants should email a résumé, cover letter, and references to Kassie Hobbs, Organizing Director at: Kassie.firstname.lastname@example.org, stating clearly that they are applying for the “Organizer In Training” position.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com