Senior Software Engineer
Grade: UUR III
Based out of Washington, DC
(may be worked from Remote location)
Salary: $92,632 / YR
The 2 million members united in the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) are at the forefront of a movement to build power for working people and empower all workers to form unions, no matter what job they do. SEIU members are from every walk of life, every political party, every background, every faith. They come from communities with their own stories and strengths, and that makes the Union all the more powerful because there’s strength in numbers. SEIU members work across the healthcare spectrum providing high quality care and services. They are the workers who keep our nation’s airports running and make sure landmark buildings are clean and secure. They provide essential public services and give a foundation of learning to our youngest and brightest. SEIU members believe in and are fighting for a Just Society where all workers are valued and all people respected—no matter where they come from or what color they are; where all families and communities can thrive; and where we leave a better and more equitable world for generations to come.
The principal responsibility of the Senior Software Engineer will be to contribute to the Data Systems and Analytics department’s membership system software development and texting platform by writing code.
The Senior Software Engineer will also perform a wide range of duties assigned by the International Union, including but not limited to the following:
- Assist the Senior Data Architect in interpreting architectural needs into working software, including leading code review and explaining new concepts to other members of the Engineering team
- Execute projects under the guidance of the Data Systems and Analytics department leadership and in collaboration with internal teams and external stakeholders
- Review and debug code
- Document the progress of software development
- Advise SEIU on software development best practices and appropriate technologies
- Perform other duties as required to support the department and its mission
Benefits: SEIU staff enjoy excellent employer-sponsored benefits to include comprehensive health benefits (major medical, dental and vision coverage) for employees and eligible dependents; domestic partner benefits; competitive compensation; generous holiday and vacation leave policies; and both a pension retirement plan and a 401(k) retirement savings plan. This position is part of a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and as such the incumbent is bound by the language of said agreement and party to all benefits, dues and requirements associated with being a member of a union and the (CBA).
SEIU staff and others related to software issues.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the Senior Data Architect in the Data Systems and Analytics Department.
Experience: At least 4 years’ of directly related work experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- 4+ years of experience working primarily in Software developing
- 3+ years of experience with Python 3 (3.6+ preferred) including familiarity with concepts like: async/await, Type Hints, dataclasses, WSGI, ASGI, functools, itertools
- Thorough knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming concepts and Software Patterns
- Experience with moderate to large codebases and microservices
- Strong knowledge of MySQL, Flask, an ORM such as SQLAlchemy or Peewee (2.x preferred)
- Strong understanding of REST API Development including familiarity with concepts like: Query Parameters, Error Handling, JSON, OpenAPI/SwaggerUI, REST Verbs
- Ability to learn and troubleshoot NodeJS
- Experience in an Agile Environment, preferably using JIRA
- Experience with: pytest, AWS (EKS, S3, EC2, MSK, Aurora, EBS, Lambda), Kubernetes, Redis, Marshmallow, Pydantic, FastAPI/Starlette, Faust, Kafka, Helm, Gitlab-CI, NodeJS 8.10+, React 15.6+, thinky, knex
- Familiarity with Analytics, Streaming ETL, and/or Member Data Management Concepts
- A high level of judgment, leadership, and commitment to the goals of SEIU and its leaders
- Knowledge of labor unions and their operations is helpful
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Occasional extended hours and travel required.
Probationary Period: Twelve (12) months.
A résumé is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
Relocation costs are not covered by SEIU.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com