Health and Safety Trainer and Organizer : Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Area Project on Occupational Safety and Health
Health and Safety Trainer and Organizer
Based in Philadelphia, PA
The Philadelphia Area Project on Occupational Safety and Health (PHILAPOSH) is a nonprofit organization, founded in 1975, that educates and mobilizes workers, union members, and community activists to advocate for and promote a safe and healthy workplace. Our mission is the reduction of work-related injuries and fatalities through education and advocacy. PHILAPOSH is a dynamic organization with a committed staff that works as a team.
PhilaPOSH seeks to hire a full time Trainer and Organizer to develop and deliver health and safety training, to meet grant funded training goals, and to support workers’ leadership development around health and safety. The position includes conducting active outreach to unions, worker centers, vocational programs, community and faith-based organizations, contractors, employers, and municipal and state government to promote our training programs, to schedule training, and to promote activism around workplace safety and health.
Experience and training in occupational safety and health is required. Strong preference will be given to candidates who are bi-lingual English/Spanish and have previous experience with participatory training techniques. Experience with training multi-lingual classes also a plus.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Prepare for, organize, and conduct hands-on, participatory health and safety training to both adult and youth worker audiences on residential construction fall protection, workplace hazard identification, workers’ rights, and a variety of specific topics included in OSHA 10 and 30 hour outreach training for construction and general industry;
- Travel to outlying communities to conduct training and outreach, and to attend out of town meetings and conferences;
- Conduct and maintain outreach to potential allies to promote PhilaPOSH programs, schedule training, and promote activism around workplace safety and health;
- Participate in community-based coalitions that strengthen ties with workers and leaders;
- Prepare training handouts for distribution to participants;
- Participate in, help promote and prepare for other PhilaPOSH events and activities, including the annual Workers Memorial Day program and the annual Award program.
- Work some evenings/weekends
Additional responsibilities will include:
- Curriculum development and revision;
- Produce final reports and presentations in support of training outcomes;
- Maintain training evaluations, sign in sheets, and other recordkeeping;
- Previous experience as a health and safety trainer (certification as an OSHA Outreach Trainer a plus) or other advanced training as a health and safety activist.
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal and project management skills.
- Experience in and strong commitment to workers’ rights and unions.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups.
- Must demonstrate leadership quality and be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Bi-Lingual a strong plus (English/Spanish)
- PC literate with working knowledge of MS Office, Outlook, Google Calendar, Virtual meetings/trainings via Zoom, and Dropbox a plus.
- Must possess a valid drivers’ license and have a means of transportation to training locations.
PHILAPOSH staff are members of CWA Local 38010. Salary $60,000/year plus family health insurance, 401K, generous vacation and other benefits.
Please email résumés to email@example.com, with the phrase “Trainer and Organizer” in the subject line. You can also fax resumes to (215) 386-3529, or mail them to PHILAPOSH at 3001 Walnut Street, 5th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19104.
Interviews will begin in late July 2020 and hiring will occur once a qualified candidate has been found.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com