Assistant Director – Political Action : California
American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees
Based in Sacramento, CA
Job TItle: Assistant Director – Political Action
Location: Sacramento, CA
Management – Grade 7
Starting Salary: $108,294
This position develops and implements AFSCME’s political and legislative strategies for the state of California, coordinating said work amongst the in-state affiliates.
- Responsible for designing and executing AFSCME International’s state legislative and political strategy in the state of California.
- Coordinates said strategy with in-state affiliates, their leaders and staff, and other IU staff. Responsible for monitoring and lobbying on legislation as it pertains to AFSCME members, affiliates and the International Union.
- Develops relationships with key local and state allies, legislators, key office holders and their staff, other unions and progressive organizations.
- Monitors political and legislative developments in order to make recommendations for engagement and involvement. Evaluates political campaigns (candidate, legislative and ballot measures at the local, state and federal level).
- Utilizes all available tools, data research and other assets to make such recommendations.
- Develop and track state budgets.
- Supervises in-state staff, including political and administrative personnel, interns and apprentices.
- Promotes and implements the IU’s PEOPLE program.
- Serves as speaker at various functions, including trainings, conferences and conventions.
Education and Experience
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with course work in political science or any other related field. A minimum of ten (10) years of related experience with demonstrated competency in management of programs and previous supervision of staff or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Thorough knowledge of state legislative and budget process.
- Knowledge of professional campaigns including media, research, field, communications and GOTV programs.
- Ability to craft and implement electoral and legislative plans.
- Advanced understanding of the state’s ballot initiative process and campaigning is critical, as is awareness of federal, state and local campaign finance regulations.
Please submit résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting Date: August 7, 2020
AFSCME is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate against an employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com