Administrative Assistant I – Conference & Travel Services : District of Columbia
American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees
Administrative Assistant I
Conference & Travel Services
Based in Washington, DC
Job Title:Administrative Assistant I – Conference & Travel Services
Location: Washington, DC
Excluded: Clerical Grade 7
Starting Salary: $54,816
Provides overall coordination of daily administrative activities of the Conference & Travel Services Department in support of the Director and management team by monitoring workflow, keeping management abreast of activities, being knowledgeable of the status of project activities, performing follow-up procedures on outstanding matters for the Director and management team and ensures timely accomplishment of the department’s objectives and projects.
Office Administration & Oversight/Budget
- Assists the Director, Associate and Assistant Director in handling the department’s confidential affairs.
- Oversee and manage office workflow and function; assisting as needed on assignments and duties of support staff and support all staff where necessary.
- Coordinates the collection and preparation of budget information for preparing EAFs and department’s annual budget submissions for IEB, Department and Convention (every other year) for Director.
- Assists in preparation and review process of general correspondence.
- Responsible for supervising support staff in their daily activities and special assignments.
- Manage CTS offsite storage and archival of required convention material.
- Receives, reviews, proofreads, and determines the most effective and efficient methods for accomplishing all incoming work as needed.
- Oversees maintenance of department calendars, files, & administrative policies both internally and externally maintaining AFSCME policies and procedures as directed by management.
- Maintain and update Conference Room Guidelines coordinating with Administration Department and Executive Office.
- Assists Director and Associate Director in maintaining and working cross-departments to ensure policy and procedures for booking air, hotel and rental cars for staff, non-staff, etc.
- Assist Director/Associate Director with special projects and research as it relates to meeting & conference planning.
- Completes evaluations, disciplines, and work plans for support staff.
- Maintains AFSCME’s meeting schedule for staff and internal and external distribution, IEB and all internal staff.
- Process EAFs and APTs for department’s convention, IEB & CTS budgets and sign off in Director’s absence as requested.
- Maintains CTS internal IT portal forms for reserving conference rooms for internal use and outside groups and requesting offsite meetings.
- Maintain and coordinate general contracts processing to obtain countersigned versions, tracking, file & submitting final to General Counsel’s office.
- Performs related work as required.
- Prepares updated travel policies including Omega updates, Concur changes, AFSCME travel policy with direction from Director and Associate Director or Executive and Accounting offices.
- Transmittal of monthly rental car discrepancies to appropriate department and Accounting.
- Liaison for internal approval processes under direction of Director and Associate Director as needed.
- Communicate any travel policy changes with other department’s Administrative Assistants.
- Manage Convention budget with projections which includes EAF preparation, payments, monitoring overall budget keeping the Director abreast of major changes and interacting with AFSCME department’s and staff.
- Assist Director/Associate Director in preparation of Convention Site-Visits/Agenda, etc.
- Prepare and coordinate in addition to assisting Director/Associate Director with mailing to affiliates & International Vice Presidents about hotel selection and assignments for Convention lodging.
- Prepare and coordinate collection of enclosures for Convention mailings.
- Maintain log for Convention affiliate lodging responses for record.
- Prepare documents and materials for Convention non-staff & VIP participants; maintain log of travel and expenditures provided; process bookings with Omega and CTS Housing Coordinator; prepare advanced or post payments for all non-staff including vendors and VIPs.
- Track and maintain log of approved staff TAs and dates attending Convention.
- Assists with instruction to Convention affiliates and staff in monitoring onsite hotel check-in periods.
- Assist with monitoring food & beverage station flow for meeting planner along with other CTS at Convention delegates reception.
- Consults regularly with the professional staff to keep abreast of departmental activities which impact on planning for meetings and conferences and their needs.
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school with extensive knowledge of office management, secretarial skills or any equivalent combination of education and experience which would be acquired through the completion of an Associate degree. A minimum of five (5) years of experience in an executive or senior supervisory administrative support role working in a confidential environment or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Ability to effectively delegate, coach and manage a support team.
- Ability to multitask and quickly adapt to changing situations and meet deadlines.
- Ability to make sound independent decisions in accordance with policies and procedures
- Ability to work with budgets and adapt to AFSCME Accounting practices.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office software (Teams, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint); exposure to Asana and Zoom and some exposure to other database tools to meet department’s needs.
- Ability to compose correspondence using standard grammar and collect and analyze information.
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities.
- Ability to problem solve and/or ask effective questions to provide project resolution.
- Excellent communication and diplomacy skills, oral and written.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to sometimes work extended hours as needed.
Please submit résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posting Date: August 7, 2020
AFSCME is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate against an employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com