Senior Editorial and Speechwriter – Communications : District of Columbia
Senior Editorial and Speechwriter
Based in Washington, DC
The 12.5 million member, 55 union AFL-CIO is seeking a creative and experienced writer and storyteller to amplify the federation’s vision and mission. Whether it’s crafting a speech for an AFL-CIO officer, researching and preparing a policy op-ed for national publication or communicating with working people both inside and outside of the labor movement, this is a unique opportunity to shape the fight for economic justice.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Provide strategic communication support to the officers for major speeches, op-eds, columns, video scripts and other key messages. This requires crafting a wide array of compelling and easily digestible copy on deadline that educates, inspires and moves the audience to action.
- Create opportunities through written materials and social media venues that help shape public opinion by articulating the officers’ positions on issues.
- Develop evaluation strategies and assess the effectiveness of officers’ communications.
- Translate complicated subject matter into compelling and interesting presentations.
- Research and identify anecdotes and obscure information/details to support facts in speeches and talking points.
- Articulate goals, programs and direction of the AFL-CIO in clear and concise manner
- Conceptualize and write a variety of advocacy and policy materials, for print and online use, that move the audience to take action.
- Use social media tools and established contacts within the traditional and progressive social media community to extend message reach and impact.
- Work with program departments to conceptualize, create and revise campaign materials.
- Contribute creatively to message framing, audience targeting, campaign planning, etc. and execute print and online products.
- Keep the Director of Speechwriting and Publications fully informed on a regular basis on issues affecting all project work.
- Prepare and submit regular and ad hoc reports on activities as required.
- Establish and maintain effective/supportive relationships with executive team.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in English or related field preferred or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of five years of writing responsibility.
- Strong knowledge of the labor movement and the broader fight for economic justice.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust tones and capture diverse voices for varying audiences.
- Extensive experience integrating messaging in social media outreach such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Established relationships in the traditional and social media communities.
- Ability to exercise excellent political judgment and complete discretion.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Confidence and ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels.
- Ability to collaborate and work well with staff.
- Proficient research, reporting and writing skills and engaging writing style.
- Demonstrated success in writing a range of advocacy materials including speeches, op-eds, columns, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate sources and understand and translate nuances.
- Demonstrated ability to research, report and write on deadline while juggling several projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work long and extended hours.
Please provide a cover letter, references and three writing samples (including at least one speech and one op-ed). Top candidates will receive a writing test.
Apply here: http://aflcio.hirecentric.com/jobs/
Equal Opportunity Employer
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com