Organizer: Parents, Students and Educators : California
Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom Center
Organizer: Parents, Students and Educators
Based in Oakland, CA
Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom Center:
The Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom Center has a long history of bringing together individuals and organizations of diverse ages, races and socioeconomic backgrounds, working side-by-side for a healthy democracy. We bring best practices from our nation’s Civil Rights Movement to the forefront in community education, training, and practice, building strong community partnerships with proven results. Join our team to be part a personally-transforming effort to strengthen democracy: www.mlkfreedomcenter.org, www.facebook.com/mlkfreedomcenter, and our YouTube Channel.
What we are looking for:
The Organizer: Parents, Students and Educators supports and facilitates parent, student and educator leadership and action. The Organizer helps build power with a focus on one-on-one recruiting, home visits, and developing community structures for long term policy influence. This position organizes outreach, policy action and communications through community leadership development.
The Organizer works with the Education and Community Organizing team in a rigorous, campaign style, nonviolence leadership effort. This position utilizes a coaching approach to relationships, personal transformation and social justice. Ethical leadership coaching provides a framework for self-change.
The Organizer’s responsibilities include cultivating relationships and advancing policy initiatives with education administrators, labor, legislators, civic and community leaders, elders and civil rights leaders, families, and students. This position is an excellent opportunity to join a growing organization with competitive compensation. It is more than a job; it is a calling.
This position’s civic engagement focus is the Oakland/Alameda County region, as well as regular travel to Sacramento, Richmond/Contra Costa, and San Jose/Santa Clara Counties.
- Two (2) years of experience working in union organizing, campaign organizing, as a legislative aid or intern to elected officials, or in a similar community engagement environment.
- Live within a 30 min radius of Oakland or reside in mentioned above and able to be in Oakland three days per week.
- A driver’s license, a car, automobile insurance on that vehicle, and a smart phone.
- Willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Willingness and ability to travel, including within the state and to other states, including overnight travel. Travel expenses covered.
- Intercultural and intergenerational proficiency: Experience working with people from cultures and backgrounds other than one’s own
- Proficient analytical skills necessary to interpret and develop relationships
- Personal commitment to justice for working people
- Ability to advocate for an organization’s interests and those of its constituents
- Desire and capacity for self-change and personal transformation.
- The ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong self-initiative, outgoing attitude, and creative
- Ability to lift 20 pounds
- Experience in positions with the following types of employers is highly valued: labor unions, elected officials, progressive issue advocacy organizations, for instance as a legislative aid, labor rep, shop steward, or similar.
- Bilingual or multilingual is an asset
Salary and Benefits:
Organizing positions provide comprehensive fully paid medical and dental benefits and simple IRA for employee after one month, and mileage reimbursement. Salary $54,000/year.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position(s), applicants must submit a résumé and letter of interest to: email@example.com. Your letter of interest should clearly explain how your experience, training, and education make you a strong candidate for this position.
This position is open until filled; however, it is to the applicant’s advantage to apply as early as possible.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
The Martin Luther King Jr Freedom Center is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates without regard to race, creed, color, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, national origin, political affiliation, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any real or perceived sensory, mental, or physical disability.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com