UniServ Manager : Virginia
Virginia Education Association
Based out of VEA Headquarters in Richmond, VA
(with travel required)
Date of Posting: September 26, 2019
Deadline for Applying: Open Until Filled
Reports to: Director, Department of Organizing and Field Support
The Virginia Education Association (VEA) is seeking qualified applicants for the position of UniServ Manager in the Department of Organizing and Field Support. VEA is a statewide community of more than 40,000 teachers and school support professionals working for the betterment of public education in the Commonwealth. VEA is the state affiliate of the National Education Association with more than 3 million members. See our website at www.veanea.org.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities: Experience as a UniServ Director preferred. Minimum of a bachelor’s degree and at least three years’ demonstrated experience as a manager, preferably in a unionized environment. Demonstrated success in coaching, mentoring and evaluating direct reports required. Especially important are interpersonal and written communications skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Publisher, PowerPoint, Excel). Must possess thorough knowledge of the labor movement, union structures, labor and employment law, collective bargaining and contract administration. Demonstrated organizing and coordinating skills necessary to successfully complete group projects and activities. Demonstrated ability to lead groups of union staff. Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
Summary of Duties for Field Support:
- Direct, manage, coach, and evaluate UniServ Directors (field staff). This is a field service position and requires spending time with UniServ Directors throughout Virginia.
- Monitor and approve submission of leave, travel, VISA Reconciliation and other reports submitted by UniServ Directors, in keeping with deadlines.
- Work with the department director to provide training and professional development for staff. Support the work of the department for other training and development needs for as identified by the department director and/or the Executive Director. Conduct facilitation as needed.
- Support VEA Leadership Team, as directed.
Summary of Duties for Organizing:
- Identify staff needs for professional development of skills and competencies and provide for staff development.
- Assisting UniServ Directors in identifying local concerns and organizing opportunities.
- Ensure that UniServ Directors are working with local VEA affiliate unions to develop membership growth and retention plans.
- Work with the department director to identify issues, patterns, and trends that can be used for mobilizing and organizing members.
Additional Program Responsibilities:
- Assist with design and preparation for general, headquarters and regional staff meetings.
- Support and participate in regional staff meetings of the UniServ Directors.
- Participate in conferences, webinars, seminars and trainings related to the work of the Department of Organizing and Field Support.
- Participate and or lead in webinars, conference calls and electronic communication as directed.
- Serve as Staff Liaison to VEA Committee(s) as assigned.
Required Competencies and experiences
- Demonstrated experience, expertise and success in planning and implementing member organizing and mobilization campaigns and plans
- Successful experience in managing multiple projects and staff simultaneously
- Demonstrated effectiveness in coaching and developing staff
- Creative thinking and problem-solving approach
- Experience representing members and issues
- Attention to detail with ability to analyze and solve complex problems/issues
- Bargaining experience preferred
- Experience working in a unionized environment preferred
- Demonstrated success working in a team environment
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Virginia drivers’ license and have a vehicle
- Position is based out of VEA Headquarters in Richmond but requires travel 50-70% of the time throughout the state of Virginia, with some occasional travel outside of Virginia.
Salary and Fringe Benefits:
Competitive salary, negotiable depending upon applicant’s experience and qualifications. The position also includes an excellent fringe benefits package.
Send a résumé along with a cover letter, writing sample, and contact information for three references with telephone numbers to: email@example.com.
VEA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com