Political Coordinator : Florida
SEIU Local 32BJ
Based in Miami, FL
32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions along the East Coast, with over 175,000 members in 11 states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, including campaigns to guarantee living wages, promote responsible development, and expand access to health care. Its parent organization, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), is the nation’s largest labor union.
The Political Coordinator is based in Miami.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Act as liaison with Elected Officials and their staff and the Union;
- Plan and coordinate political field activities, lobby visits, phone banking and events for our public policy campaigns at the school district, city, county, state and federal level;
- Mobilize, train and educate new member leaders and activists for legislative and electoral activity;
- Plan and supervise electoral program for local, state and federal elections;
- Identify opportunities and drive organizational engagement in ongoing legislative and issue campaigns;
- Support contract and organizing campaigns, including rallies, press events, legislative opportunities and targeted owner activity;
- Build the Union’s capacity through grassroots political fundraising drives;
- Work with the 32BJ SEIU Deputy Political Director and Policy Director to develop and implement public policy and political agenda throughout the region;
- Oversee and carry out regional activity for federal legislative campaigns;
- Coordinate the union’s work with local labor and community allies, including the SEIU State Council programs;
- Provide political, electoral, legislative and fundraising updates and reports to Union Officials, Leaders and rank and file members.
- 3 to 5 years of experience coordinating legislative, electoral, or community organizing campaigns;
- Ability to design and implement powerful and effective campaign plans;
- Comprehensive knowledge of legislative processes;
- Experience working on electoral campaigns and managing field programs;
- Excellent communications skills and experience building strong working relationships with stakeholders across the Union;
- Fluent written and oral Spanish and/or Haitian Creole preferred but not required;
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends, and to travel as needed.
We offer a competitive salary based on experience. We provide a full benefits package including employer-paid medical and dental coverage for employees and their eligible dependents, a pension plan, and a car allowance.
Please email a résumé and letter of interest to Patricia Lippold, Florida Political Director, at HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “Miami Coordinator” in the Subject line of your email.
32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com