Legal Director – Maintenance Cooperation Trust Fund : California
United Service Workers West
Maintenance Cooperation Trust Fund
Based in Los Angeles, CA
ABOUT THE MAINTENANCE COPERATION TRUST FUND (MCTF)
The Maintenance Cooperation Trust Fund (MCTF) is a California statewide watchdog organization that works to abolish illegal and unfair business practices in the janitorial industry. Working with enforcement agencies, the MCTF drives the process of enforcing the law to expose the unfair advantage law breakers gain over their law-abiding competitors. Over the years, the MCTF has been effective in exposing systemic unfair business practices and rampant labor exploitation.
The MCTF is currently searching for a strong organizational leader who will serve as statewide Legal Director. The Legal Director provides critical leadership throughout the organization, primary office location is negotiable, regular travel required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Legal Director will oversee the organization’s impact employment law investigations and individual cases; train and support staff on employment laws; facilitate and support communication of legal processes with workers; and maintain organizational compliance.
- Identify and assist the development of the legal strategy of the organization;
- Coordinate the identification and development of strategic cases with field team;
- Support and monitor integrity of information developed in investigations;
- Work closely with Field Director to develop and implement investigative systems;
- Train staff on wage and hour laws, legal processes, and other related laws;
- Supervise and coordinate individual wage claim process;
- Develop, train and jointly supervise wage claim advocates;
- Design and oversee peer to peer self-help clinics;
- Support supervision of team members and supervise team when necessary;
- Support, design and review legal content of worker education, training, and materials;
- Monitor public policies and legislation;
- Represent organization with external coalitions, allied organizations and contributing employers; and
- Participate in internal Coordination Team
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Life experience with the janitorial industry or other low wage industry and five or more years of work experience in investigation, advocacy, or organizing;
- Fluent in Spanish and English;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in both languages;
- Commitment to transformational change, worker rights, civil rights and social justice;
- Excellent organization, communication, interpersonal and problem-solving skills;
- Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.);
- Experience working in diverse environments;
- Prior experience with database use and maintenance preferred;
- Ability to work long and irregular hours;
- California Driver’s License, Car insurance and reliable car required.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Competitive salary for a nonprofit organization, $80,000-90,000 depending on experience
- Excellent medical benefits package, including full family health care;
- Generous paid time off benefits, including paid vacation, paid holidays, monthly accrual of paid sick time, bereavement leave;
- Phone stipend $85.00/month;
- IRS mileage reimbursement and $150/week car allowance in addition to salary.
HOW TO APPLY
To Apply: Submit a cover letter explaining qualification and résumé via email to email@example.com (Attn: Lilia García-Brower. Email subject: Legal Director Resume).
The MCTF is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
The position will remain open until filled and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com