Political Organizer or Coordinator – District 615 : Massachusetts
SEIU Local 32BJ
Political Organizer or Coordinator
Based in Boston, MA
32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions in the East coast, with over 175,000 members in 11 states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, including campaigns to guarantee living wages, promote responsible development and expand access to health care. Its parent organization, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), is the nation’s largest labor union.
The Political Organizer or Coordinator is based in Boston, Massachusetts and is responsible for aspects of the Union’s political work in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Rhode Island. 32BJ SEIU is looking to hire either a political organizer or coordinator. Both work in the following areas, but the Coordinator position requires a higher level of experience and expertise. Placement in one of these two positions will depend on prior experience and qualifications of the applicant.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Mobilizing, training, educating, and developing new member leaders and activists for legislative and electoral activity;
- Planning and coordinating political field activities, lobby visits, phone banking and events for our public policy campaigns at the school district, city, county, state and federal level;
- Planning and supervising an electoral program for local, state and federal elections;
- Driving political activity around specific re-zoning and economic development fights;
- Supporting contract and organizing campaigns, including rallies, press events and targeted owner activity;
- Building the Union’s capacity through grassroots political fundraising drives;
- Working with the Capital Area Political Director and the Political Department to develop and implement a statewide public policy and political agenda throughout the region;
- Overseeing and carrying out regional activity for federal legislative campaigns;
- Coordinating the Union’s work with local labor and community allies, including the SEIU International and State Council programs.
- Experience in labor, political, or community organizing. Number of years of experience and level of expertise in each of the above-referenced areas will be taken into account when determining Organizer versus Coordinator level;
- Ability to design and implement powerful and effective political programs;
- Comprehensive knowledge of legislative processes;
- Experience working on electoral campaigns and managing field programs;
- Excellent communications skills and experience building strong working relationships with stakeholders across the Union;
- Fluent written and oral Spanish preferred but not required;
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends, and to travel as needed;
- This position is required to have a car available at all times for union business.
We offer a competitive salary and our benefits package includes employer-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their qualified dependents, retirement benefits, and a car allowance. This position resides within the District 615 staff union.
Please email a résumé and letter of interest to Alison Hirsh, Political Director: HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “Boston” in the Subject line of your email.
32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com