Organizer – University of Chicago Grad Teachers & Research Assistants Recognition Campaign : Illinois
University of Chicago Grad Teachers & Research Assistants Recognition Campaign
Based in Chicago, IL
Public education and unions are under attack. AFT members are fighting back against these attacks and for racial, economic and educational justice for all of us. The University of Chicago Grad Teachers & Research Assts. Recognition Campaign seeks a full-time organizer in Chicago, IL. The American Federation of Teachers is a 1.7 million member union of professionals that champions fairness; democracy; economic opportunity; and high-quality public education, healthcare and public services for our students, their families and our communities.
Organizers are responsible for a variety of aspects of a campaign including building relationships with workers, developing issue-based organizing plans for assigned areas, and for recruiting and sustaining the motivation of organizing committee members and activists. This project is a joint venture between the American Federation of Teachers and the Illinois Federation of Teachers. This job requires long and irregular hours, some weekend work, and occasional out-of-state travel for limited periods of time
- Willing to work long and irregular hours
- Dedicated to social and economic justice, and public education
- In possession of an insured vehicle and valid driver’s license
- Able to work with individuals different from one’s self
- Experienced in community, student, labor, or environmental activism is a plus for organizer position
- Experience in higher education is a plus
- Union organizing experience preferred.
- Applicants must be flexible with regards to geography/be willing to relocate.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Organize and mobilize workers
- Attend weekly meetings with supervisors to discuss progress and plan activities
- One-on-one visits, site visits, meetings, and other interaction with members and potential members
- Enter assessments and other data collected in a database on a weekly basis
- Occasionally, be assigned to other parts of the state or country as required
- Take direction from on daily and weekly activities to grow AFT membership and accomplish goals
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Competitive Salary and Benefits
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter and résumé with three references by clicking on the following link: https://organizers.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2gb5ri3gcqe/aaak
Equal Opportunity Employer and all are encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com