Union Organizer – New Organizing – Connecticut : Connecticut
New England Health Care Employees Union
District 1199 SEIU
In these challenging times, when so much wealth and power is concentrated in the hands of so few, it is more important than ever to unite working people with the broader political and social justice movement to achieve respect and dignity, economic and racial equality on the job and in our communities.
District 1199 SEIU is a bold, democratic Union with a long activist tradition. In his remarks at 1199’s Salute to Freedom in 1968, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr stated “Local 1199 represents the authentic conscience of the labor movement.” In recent years, we’ve won a $15/hour standard for thousands of low-wage workers through militant direct-action campaigns, fought racism on the job, campaigned for progressive policy in the state legislature, and engaged in the community around a variety of social justice issues.
As an Organizer, you will be assigned to labor organizing campaigns, trained on the fundamentals of union organizing and will have the opportunity to learn the skills needed to help workers build power in the workplace.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to non-union workers.
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
- Identifying, recruiting and developing worker leaders.
- Conducting individual and group meetings with workers to move organizing campaigns forward.
- Engaging, motivating and mobilizing workers.
- Planning and carrying out actions and events to support worker organizing efforts
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice.
- Ability and willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
- Excellent listening, oral and written communication skills.
- Basic computer literacy and ability to learn the organization’s technology tools.
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team.
- Willingness to conduct work site and home visits.
- Strong planning, time-management and problem-solving skills.
- Willingness to work with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license, proof of auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed.
Salary depends on experience. As of 7/1/19 entry level salary is $49,138 per year and benefits include fully employer-paid health benefits package and defined benefit pension plan, $570/month Auto allowance, up to $150 monthly work-related cell phone reimbursement, and other benefits outlined in the policies of 1199 and the staff union contract. This is a full-time, salaried, over-time exempt position.
Send cover letter and résumé to:
77 Huyshope Avenue, Hartford CT 06106
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com