Organizing and Communications Specialist : New Mexico
Albuquerque Teachers Federation
Organizing and Communications Specialist
Based in Albuquerque, NM
The Albuquerque Teachers Federation (ATF)/AFT/AFL-CIO is seeking candidates for position of Organizing and Communications Specialist.
ATF represents over 6,500 teachers and other professional educators in the Albuquerque Public Schools (APS). APS is an urban, rural, and suburban district—the largest school district in New Mexico.
ATF is the largest local teachers’ union in the state and is an affiliate of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT). We are a progressive, professional union committed to educational excellence and social justice, and believe that the future well-being of our members depends on the success of our public schools. For more information, go to www.atfunion.org.
The ATF Organizing and Communications Specialist works toward the achievement of the ATF’s goals by:
- Creating and implementing communications plans and strategies.
- Understanding education policy and worksite issues in order to inform membership, media and local elected officials of ATF policy priorities.
- Utilizing social media and media platforms such as Hustle, Action Network, and Smart as a Fox in order to broadcast messaging.
- Designing original graphics and flyers to succinctly deliver complex messages.
- Managing website content.
- Generating organizing plans and accompanying budgets to meet ATF membership goals.
- Creating organizing and membership engagement campaigns.
- Overseeing a team of 5-10 ATF member-organizers.
- Creating targeted ATF member recruitment plans.
- Fostering leadership and providing support for ATF Federation Representatives.
- Serving as a bridge between ATF leadership, members and community organizations.
- Writing monthly reports to report back to the ATF Executive Council.
The ideal candidate for the position has work experience in education, with labor, progressive nonprofit agencies, political organizations, and/or media.
Essential Qualities and Skills
The ideal candidate is passionate about public education and enjoys working in a team environment. Candidates should be willing to “do what it takes” to reach our goals. Long and indeterminate hours are sometimes required. The person in this position must be able to sustain work on several activities, projects and goals simultaneously. Additionally, the ideal candidate excels in the ability to hold conversations with members and potential members of our organization.
Candidates for the Organizing/Communications Specialist must have excellent writing skills and a demonstrated knowledge of websites, social networking, email, blogging and production of informational flyers that they can seamlessly apply to organizing.
Other essential qualities:
- Dedication to improving the position of public school employees and strengthening the role of organized labor through public actions, community relations, and political activity.
- Knowledge of current issues in K-12 public education.
- Excellent writing, speaking and analytic skills; the ability to analyze and articulate complex issues and to communicate them to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment and initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to work well on teams.
- Ability to take direction.
- Ability to use appropriate strategies and interventions to deal with difficult individuals.
- Demonstrate the ability to assist in resolving interpersonal disputes.
- Assess information and evidence while managing conflicting and changing priorities.
- Establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse perspectives and backgrounds.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Ability to work under pressure; must be well-organized and self-motivated.
- Media outreach and communications experience.
- Knowledge of education and labor policy issues.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Tech savvy.
- Independent project management skills, detail-oriented self-starter
- Strategic thinker, exercising a high level of judgment
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate outstanding listening, oral and written communication skills
- Respect for and/or knowledge of the cultures of New Mexico
Education: Bachelor’s Degree with a preference for a degree in education.
- Starting salary range: $50,000 – $55,000 (or more) depending on experience. ATF provides a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and prescription drug, defined benefit pension plan, and long-term disability insurance as outlined in the staff Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- ATF staff works at the direction of the president.
Interested candidates should submit a résumé, letter of interest and a 400–700 word persuasive essay on either an education or labor-related issue of your choosing by clicking on the link provided below –
Deadline for receipt of applications is Friday, May 31, 2019.
Preferred start date: Early June 2019.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com