Internal Security Organizer : Illinois
SEIU Local 1
Internal Security Organizer
Based in Chicago, IL
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building power for low-wage workers in service industries and fighting in larger struggles for social justice on issues such as immigrant, racial, environmental and economic justice. We are now hiring an Internal Security Organizer in Chicago to work on exciting campaigns to organize Security workers in the Chicago area.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to low-wage workers.
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
- Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead campaigns.
- Conducting individual/group meetings with workers to discuss and plan organizing campaigns.
- Motivating individual workers and groups of workers to take action.
- Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on industry sectors.
- Coordinating with workers to gather information that is useful in identifying opportunities for membership growth and mobilization.
- Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
- Capacity to work independently and with a team.
- The ability to interpret and effectively communicate about collective bargaining agreements and other written materials.
- The ability to make and follow through on a work plan.
- Sharp communications skills, basic writing and computer skills.
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Willingness to conduct house visits and site visits.
- Previous experience in union or community organizing is desirable
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required.
- A car and a valid driver’s license are required.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary is competitive and negotiable (based on the Staff Union Contract).
- Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan and paid vacation.
- Car allowance.
To apply, submit a cover letter and résumé at http://seiu1.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2kqigcq7rvd
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com