System Support Analyst II – Information Technology Department : District of Columbia
American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees
System Support Analyst II
Information Technology Department
Based in Washington, DC
System Support Analyst II – Information Technology Department
Location: HQ – Washington, DC
United Staff Union: Grade 9
Starting Salary: $78,421
This position in the Information Technology Department is responsible for investigating and resolving advanced software, hardware and network problems of AFSCME users, and implementing and maintaining networks and electronic communications. Tasks involve advanced support of multiple network operating systems, application programs, and a wide variety of complex hardware and software. The individual is required to handle multiple priorities within time constraints and to assist other IT staff in problem resolution. The System Support Analyst must be a good team player with the ability to work well with peers, clients and management.
- Provides advanced support and training to users by investigating and resolving user problems with Office 365 (365 Suite, Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, One Drive for Business, Planner and Team) and custom developed or packaged applications.
- Provides advanced support to users by investigating and resolving user problems with PCs, printers, PC peripherals, monitors and other user-required hardware.
- Supports users by investigating and resolving user problems with Office 365 and networks, electronic communications. Escalates more complex problems to the network analysts responsible for maintaining networks and electronic communications, as appropriate.
- Develops training materials and curriculum and conducts classes for Office 365 and custom developed or advanced packaged applications, internal and external electronic communications, user-required hardware, and technology policies and procedures.
- Acts as project leader for assignments such as hardware/software upgrades, roll-out of new hardware and software, and implementation of new applications; Schedules/coordinates these projects with departments.
- Closely interfaces with and supports the efforts of the Systems Support Analysts by sharing knowledge and working with them on problem resolution.
- Interfaces with programmers and management to detail software or hardware problems and user requested software and hardware requests.
- Installs and supports virtual machines (Hyper-V and VMWare).
- Evaluates various software and hardware by reviewing technical documentation and demonstrations.
- Writes articles, newsletters and other documentation to communicate key information to departments and external organizations.
- Develops troubleshooting guides and other documentation to foster user self-sufficiency.
- Writes and reviews other documentation, including software release information and procedures.
- Evaluates and implements small packaged applications for departments.
- Documents work performed in accordance with department standards and reports on progress and status of assigned projects to managers. Keeps tracking system of work updated in a timely manner.
- Suggests ways to improve the department’s procedures and standards based on process analysis and results evaluation as well as information gained from external sources.
- Keeps current on emerging technologies via professional organizations, technical or functional reference manuals and magazines, and other external sources, and transitions knowledge to IT management/staff.
- Builds test files, creates testing procedures and performs tests on custom or packaged software applications. Performs quality assurance on software implementation projects.
- Supports users by installing and upgrading PCs, printers, monitors, and PC peripherals, and software.
- Installs and maintains client/server hardware, including servers, communication devices, and peripherals.
- Implements, maintains, and provides user support for AFSCME’s nationwide electronic communications system, including hardware, software, security, and related policies.
- Designs the implementation approach for relational database packages/modifications and off-the-shelf packages.
- Assists in determining the hardware and development software required to meet user requirements.
- Assists in preparation of marketing plan and materials and performing marketing associated with technology initiatives, such as AFSCME’s nationwide electronic communications system.
- Assists in the development and maintenance of computer security and disaster recovery plans.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in Computer Sciences or a technical institution with an appropriate degree/certification in a related field
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in a technology support, help desk, network administration, or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of all Office 365 Suite, Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, One Drive for Business, Forms, Planner and Team.
- Advanced knowledge of network operating systems.
- Advanced knowledge of maintaining, installing and testing user hardware, such as PCs, printers and PC peripherals.
- Cursory knowledge of functional business areas to be supported.
- Advanced knowledge of electronic communications software applications, set up and administration.
- Knowledge of emerging network, software, and hardware technologies.
- Advanced knowledge of hardware selection, testing and implementation.
- Must have working knowledge of DNS, DHCP, and GPOs
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to produce training materials and curriculum for adult audiences and to make strong presentations.
- Ability to develop application deliverables, such as project plans and user application documents.
- Highly skilled in the use of office automation software products, such as word processors, spreadsheets, and graphics packages.
- Skilled in the use of hand tools required in the installation of hardware and cabling (e.g., electronic testing equipment, cable connector devices).
- Skilled in the use of PC development tools and conventions (e.g., databases, report writers).
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure and time constraints.
Travel and work hours:
- Travel and extended work hours may be required.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
Please submit résumé and cover letter to: email@example.com.
Posting Date: November 8, 2019
AFSCME is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate an employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com