Union Organizer – New Organizing – Rhode Island : Rhode Island
New England Health Care Employees Union
District 1199 SEIU
Covering Rhode Island
The New England Health Care Employees Union, District 1199/SEIU is looking for smart, motivated individuals who want to help workers fight for better working conditions, dignity on the job, and improvements in health care for all working families.
Often called “my favorite union” by Martin Luther King Jr., District 1199 is a bold, democratic labor organization with a long activist tradition. Over the past 25 years, we have used strategic campaigns and direct action to form unions, win significant victories for employees, and demand improvements for sick, elderly, and needy patients in nursing homes, state direct care and mental health facilities, hospitals and other health care centers.
We are the largest health care union in New England with 22,000 members, including nurses, nursing assistants, dietary workers, and housekeepers. The majority of our members and staff are women, people of color, and/or immigrants. We are also affiliated with the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) — the largest and fastest-growing labor union in the country.
Union Organizers on the New Organizing team help workers develop and run campaigns to form a union at the workplace, often against significant opposition from management and corporate owners.
- Through house visits, leafleting, and phone calls, identify health care workers who are interested in forming a union.
- Meet with workers (one-on-one meetings, phone calls, house visits, and small group meetings) to discuss benefits of a union and expected opposition from management.
- Train and support workers to take action, organize a union drive, and become leaders in the workplace.
- Plan and lead actions, rallies, events, and strikes.
- Demonstrated leadership skills at work, on campus, or in the community. Experience as a union or community organizer preferred; experience working in health care also a plus.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures. Bilingual skills in Spanish, Creole/French, or Portuguese a plus.
- Ability to work independently, solve problems, and manage time and priorities.
- Willingness to work long hours, including nights and weekends.
- Good listening, speaking and writing communication skills.
- Automobile and valid driver’s license.
Salary dependent on experience; includes medical benefits, pension, and paid vacation time.
Send cover letter and résumé to:
Attn: Bill Meyerson
77 Huyshope Ave., Hartford, CT 06106
You can also fax to 860-251-6049
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure to describe why you want to be a union organizer and how you heard about the job.
Learn more about District 1199 at: seiu1199ne.org.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com