Field Organizer : New York
Independent Drivers Guild
Based in New York City, NY
The Independent Drivers Guild is a Machinists Union affiliate that represents over 45,000 For-Hire Vehicle drivers in New York City. The IDG is the first nonprofit alt-labor organization to negotiate a seat at the table with ride share company and the first to offer crucial new protections and essential benefits while building worker power.
Reporting to the Director of Organizing, the Field Organizer is part of a cross-departmental team. They participate in staff meetings and works to develop strategy with the Director of Organizing. The Field Organizer performs a range of duties, which may vary according to the needs of the overall program, a specific action, or the needs of the IDG.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice;
- Work with staff across departments to develop and drive program;
- Drive the recruitment, development and maintenance of Stewards;
- Develop and execute their own monthly work plan;
- Monitor Stewards on organizing drives and during outreach events in communities and airports; lead by example, setting high standards in work ethic and conduct;
- Work closely with Stewards;
- Ability to establish close relationships with people form diverse cultural and economic backgrounds;
- Build effective external relationships within the community;
- Maintain the accuracy of lists, records and databases
- Work within the framework and processes of the organization to resolve internal issues;
- Other duties as assigned.
- An in-depth understanding of worker organizing based on prior work experience; two – four years of organizing experience strongly preferred
- The ability and willingness to travel, and to work long hours, including weekend work;
- Strong and effective verbal communication and presentation skills;
- Advanced writing and computer skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills; experience and ability to work with people from diverse background
- Fluency in a second language is preferred.
- IDG offers a competitive salary and a benefits package
Qualified candidates may send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com with “Field Organizer” in the Subject line of your email.
IDG is an equal opportunity employer. All persons regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender, religious affiliation and sexual orientation are encouraged to apply. People of color and women are encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com