Director of Organizing : New York
Independent Drivers Guild
Director of Organizing
Based in New York City, NY
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Organizing is part of a cross-departmental team. They participate in senior staff meetings and strategy planning and serves as a coach and mentor for Organizers and Stewards. The Director of Organizing performs a range of duties, which may vary according to the needs of the overall program, a specific action, or the needs of the IDG.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice;
- Work with staff across departments to develop and drive program;
- Drive the recruitment, development and maintenance of Stewards;
- Help develop and run organizing meetings and trainings;
- Develop and execute their own monthly work plan;
- Monitor and mentor Organizers and Stewards on organizing, including community and airport outreach, identifying new member leaders, planning and running actions, etc.; lead by example, setting high standards in work ethic and conduct;
- Train and mentor Stewards;
- Ability to establish close relationships with people form diverse cultural and economic backgrounds;
- Build effective external relationships within the community;
- Build and maintain effective relationships with company officials;
- Maintain the accuracy of lists, records and databases
- Work within the framework and processes of the organization to resolve internal issues;
- Other duties as assigned.
- An in-depth understanding of worker organizing based on prior work experience; three to five years of organizing experience strongly preferred, including experience leading a team;
- The ability and willingness to travel, and to work long hours, including weekend work;
- Strong and effective verbal communication and presentation skills;
- Advanced writing and computer skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills; experience and ability to work with people from diverse background
- Fluency in a second language is preferred.
- IDG offers a competitive salary and a benefits package
Qualified candidates may send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com with “Director of Organizing” in the Subject line of your email.
IDG is an equal opportunity employer. All persons regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender, religious affiliation and sexual orientation are encouraged to apply. People of color and women are encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com