Field Director : California
California School Employees Association
Based in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Deadline For Application Submission: October 15, 2019
*This position is management and not subject to the provisions of Article 26 of the CSEA/AEU contract
The California School Employees Association is a union that represents over 240,000 classified school employees who work in over 750 school districts and community colleges in California. CSEA is the largest independent classified school employee union in the AFL-CIO.
Field Directors are responsible for managing Labor Relations Representatives and prioritizing new member recruitment, collective bargaining, and representation activities. The Field Director should have a history of leading, organizing, mobilizing, political action and advocacy.
The successful candidate will have a history of commitment to building an action-oriented, member-run union. A combination of relevant experience and training that demonstrates the required knowledge and abilities will be considered. This position is open due to retirement.
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Train and direct activities of Labor Relations Representatives and organizers
- Develop strategic plans with goals, metrics and timetables and get results
- Allocate resources in campaigns to maximize political power for members
- Coordinate, identify and develop member leaders, chapter officers and stewards
- Provide leadership to employee and rank-and-file negotiators and committees in collective bargaining
- Supervise representation of members in formal hearings
- Maintain accountabilities using lists, charts and databases
- Supervise Labor Relations Representatives and two administrative staff
- Coordinate activities with other Field offices throughout the state
- Advise and influence members, stewards, officials and staff
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- 4 years’ experience organizing campaigns, representation, advocacy or collective bargaining necessary
- 2 years’ experience managing others, projects and timelines
- Bachelor’s degree in public policy, political science or related field
- Strong strategic judgment and leadership qualities, with a history of teaching these skills to others
- Database management is a strong plus
- Create collaborative relationships with diverse groups
- Analyze data, problem-solve, and communicate solutions
- Show leadership
- Think, act strategically
- Be a team player
- Work independently
- Manage budgets and variances
- Get results
- Set standards and accountability for meeting goals
- Show creativity, initiative and exercise independent judgment
- Remain calm and think clearly under pressure
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
The ability to work long hours or travel overnight is required, as is a valid driver’s license, car and insurance.
CSEA is dedicated to improving the lives of our members and the students they serve. Our members provide support services to school children by acting as para-educators, administrators, food service, bus drivers, nurses, and skilled employees in grounds, maintenance and operations.
Benefits of working at CSEA
We have an excellent salary and benefits package with 17 paid holidays, 5 weeks’ vacation after 7 years, medical, dental and vision benefits for you and your family, pension and annual step increases.
If you are creative and passionate about serving our communities, our schools and our members, then CSEA is the employer of choice for you.
Please apply on our web site at: www.csea.com/employment. Upload your résumé with a cover letter that explains your qualifications, interest and career goals.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com