Union Representative/Organizer : Texas
Houston Federation of Teachers
Based in Houston, TX
The HFT is the leading, strongest union voice for Houston educators, education professionals and classroom assistants and aides.
The Houston Federation of Teachers seeks a Union Representative/Organizer to join our campaign to strengthen the voice of Houston educators and provide excellent representation to our members.
Union Representative/Organizers are responsible for all aspects member representation and union organizing including meeting with members, advocating for members with district administration, recruiting new members, developing issue-based organizing plans for assigned areas, and increasing and sustaining motivation of school leadership committees and activists.
Qualifications for Applicants:
- Knowledge, experience and background indicating capabilities in organizing
- Demonstrated commitment to empower workers through the labor movement or community or environmental organizing.
- Excellent listening skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Willingness to take direction and work in a team
- Great interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build working relationships with educators.
- Willingness to work nights, weekends and travel as required
- Computer literacy
- A commitment to social justice and the mission of HFT.
- Valid driver’s license and insured car.
Summary Description of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize and mobilize workers.
- Work independently with minimal supervision and consistently meet weekly goals.
- Attend weekly meetings with supervisors to discuss progress and plan activities
- Prepares and presents grievance cases as the principal union advocate
- Meet and keep track of grievance deadlines and prepare documentation for appeals or referral to legal counsel.
- Meet with members and non-members at their workplace or their home, conduct 1-1 visits, group meetings and have regular phone conversations with educators.
- Take direction on daily and weekly activities to grow HFT membership and/or support the strategic goals of HFT. Develop and carry out organizing plans.
- Other duties as assigned.
HFT provides training in all aspects of member representation and organizing for staff to build their skills and grow in the position.
These positions require long and irregular hours, occasional weekend work, and travel out of state.
Salary and Benefits: We provide competitive compensation. In addition, we provide excellent benefits, paid sick leave, 401K, vacation, health insurance.
Submit cover letters and résumés to Starla Reichek at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
HFT is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all are encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com