Finance Director : California
SEIU Local 121RN
Based in Pasadena, CA
SEIU Local 121RN, a powerful voice for Registered Nurses and Professionals in Southern California, is looking for a Finance Director. Local 121RN represents more than 9,000 Registered Nurses and Licensed Professionals working in hospitals throughout Los Angeles, Ventura and Riverside counties. Local 121RN is leading the fight to win strong contracts, enact strong workplace protections, strengthen staffing and other important standards for our members and to elevate the standards in healthcare delivery systems.
The Finance Director reports directly to the Executive Director and will be responsible for budgeting, forecasting and account reconciliation. She/he will oversee all accounting activities related to income auditing, accounts payable, accounts receivable tracking and compliance with regulatory requirements including LM-2 reporting. The Finance Director acts as liaison between the Local and external financial institutions. She/he is responsible for maintaining and adhering to all established financial policies of the Local and managing all aspects of the finance department.
Financial Management Responsibilities:
- Prepare and maintain annual budget for Local, including revenue and expense projections in coordination with Executive Director for Executive Board approval.
- Advise Executive Director and Executive Board of financial actions and potential risks.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state and local legal requirements by researching existing and new legislation, consulting with outside advisors (e.g. legal counsel), and filing financial reports.
- Protect assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls/checks and balances.
- Ensure timely implementation and processing of all International Union requirements and reporting, including pension contributions, Per Capita tax payments, COPE processing, dues reporting and other actions as necessary.
- Prepare monthly and annual financial reports as well as compliance documentation for annual audit and LM-2 processing, annual Beck audits, pension and Health and Welfare audits.
- Manage the Local’s dues payments and refund processing, including monthly double dues and Beck refund reports.
- Manage A/P and A/R, payroll, reconciliations of general ledger, profit and loss statements, month end close/journal entries, benefits, Union leave, staff expense processing, month-end budget reconciliation.
- Manage Local’s financial and benefit accounts such as investments, 401K contributions, life insurance, LTD, Short-Term Disability, Workers Compensation, bank accounts, etc.
- Oversee coordination and timely payment to the Union’s PAC accounts, including interface with Local’s external counsel.
- Manage financial systems and maintain accurate financial records of deposits, withdrawals, transfers, etc.
- Conduct financial analyses.
- Meet monthly with Secretary Treasurer to review financial statements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills, Experience and Attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree or MBA in Business or Finance, CPA preferred.
- 7+ years of financial management experience, preferably managing the finances of a comparable sized Union or other non-profit organization.
- Proficient in QuickBooks, Excel, Word, Outlook, project-based accounting software and other programs.
- Experience should include audit, compliance, and budget preparation.
- Knowledge of and experience in benefits administration and compensation programs.
- Flexible and a self-starter, able to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment while also being highly detail-oriented.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to 121RN’s Vision and Goals.
- Impeccable mathematics and analytical skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team and with diverse member leadership including elected officers and Board members.
- Valid driver’s license, working automobile and valid auto insurance.
Typical Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some of these are:
- Regularly operate a computer, cell phone, and other general office equipment.
- Stand, walk, and/or sit for long periods of time.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Traverse in the office and in an outside environment during various types of events. This may include moving, or being stationary, for multiple hours, in outside conditions. Traversing may include ascending/descending stairs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The role will require a commitment to often work long and irregular hours to prepare for and attend events and Union activities on weekends, evenings and some holidays (e.g., Labor Day), or to complete assignments that cannot be completed in a regular workday or during the week.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but can elevate during events and campaign activities.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
- May include exposure to large crowds.
The Finance Director interacts with Union members, Executive Board members, Officers, staff and visitors. It is crucial to have the ability to communicate and relate respectfully and professionally with a diverse membership and staff.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time, salaried, overtime-exempt position.
The salary range for this position is between $115,000 – $130,000, which will be based on the candidate’s relevant professional experience and qualifications. SEIU Local 121RN offers a generous benefit package including medical, dental and vision benefits, a defined benefit pension plan, a 401(K) plan as well as generous holiday and vacation policies.
Please send your letter of interest, résumé and three (3) references via email with the job title Finance Director in the subject line to Rosanna Mendez at: email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
SEIU Local 121RN is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
People of color and women are encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com