Bargaining Coordinator – District 615 : Massachusetts
SEIU Local 32BJ
Based in Boston, MA
With 163,000 members in twelve states and Washington DC, SEIU 32BJ is the largest union representing property service workers in the country. Our members have fought for and achieved high standards for private and public sector property service workers, and we continue to fight for higher standards for thousands of unorganized service workers. We are committed to engaging our diverse membership and to developing members to lead our organizing, political, social justice and contract campaigns.
The Bargaining Coordinator advances the Union’s collective bargaining efforts in Massachusetts and Rhode Island in coordination with the leadership of District 615. The position is based in the Boston office of District 615 and reports to the District Director.
Key responsibilities include:
Analyzing current contracts to determine where terms are not consistent with industry standards, not reflective of current bargaining policies or legal requirements, or otherwise in need of revision.
Developing proposals and preparing for bargaining including:
- Collecting information needed for bargaining from the employer, and analyzing information;
- Costing out proposals;
- Working with field staff to solicit member input, form bargaining committee, and establish plan;
- Formulating and drafting proposals with input from the District Director, division leadership, and field team partners.
Representing 32BJ at the negotiations table for site or building agreements with property service employers (both contract renewals and first agreements), including acting as spokesperson where assigned and leading bargaining committee. Duties include:
- Presenting Union’s proposals and facilitating presentations by members;
- Analyzing employer proposals, and working with Union bargaining committee to facilitate strategy discussions, develop responses and counterproposals, and advance the bargaining.
- Working with field staff, and staff in Research and Communications, to develop plans for member action and other contract campaign activities in support of bargaining efforts.
Drafting memoranda of agreement and integrated collective bargaining agreements.
Drafting member communications regarding collective bargaining including bargaining updates, contract highlights, etc.
Qualified candidates have a minimum of five years in the labor movement or a workers rights organization, or the equivalent, including:
- A demonstrated commitment to the advancement of the rights of working people;
- Strong knowledge of contractual issues and union bargaining policies applicable to a negotiation;
- Employer relations;
- Experience managing a bargaining committee and in membership development.
Qualified candidates must also have:
- Strong drafting skills for clear and accurate drafting of proposals, agreements, employer correspondence, and member communications;
- Strong organizational and time management skills to manage complex docket of negotiations, including follow-up;
- Strategic planning skill with respect to a negotiation;
- The ability to work independently, as well as in a team with other 32BJ staff across departments;
- Clear and effective communication skills, both internal and external; strong MS Word skills are essential;
- Attention to detail and a commitment to ongoing process improvement are essential.
Knowledge of contract costing and proficiency with Excel are a plus. Negotiations or comparable experience preferred.
32BJ provides an excellent benefits package, including employer-paid medical, dental and vision plans for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
Please email a letter of interest and a résumé to HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “Bargaining” in the Subject line of your email.
32BJ encourages people of color and women to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com