Political Coordinator : District of Columbia, Maryland
United Healthcare Workers East
Based in the Baltimore, MD/DC area
POSITION TITLE: Political Coordinator – Maryland/DC
ASSIGNMENT: Political Action – Maryland/DC
REPORTS TO: Political Coordinator
NO. OF POSITIONS: 1
The Political Coordinator is responsible for coordinating and implementing the Union’s Political and Legislative Program for the Maryland/DC region. The primary goals of the Political and Legislative Program include building the political power of the members of 1199SEIU and advancing the Political Action program of the Union. The Political Coordinator assists with member mobilizations and Union wide campaigns. The Political Coordinator will report to the MD/DC Political Director and coordinate closely with the region’s officers, staff and members.
- Plans and implements political field campaigns for the Union, including legislative and electoral campaigns, PAC and voter registration drives, and member activist building on a chapter level.
- Helps plan and build an on-going activist program that enables leadership development and year-round, comprehensive member engagement in political and legislative work within the larger community and member chapters.
- Supervises Member Political Organizers in electoral campaigns.
- Assists the Political Director in building and maintaining relationships with like-minded allies to win legislative and electoral campaigns.
- Provides briefings and education materials for members around various campaign work.
- Helps execute major union mobilization efforts and events, especially those at the State Capitol.
- Supports the work of Area Directors and Organizers to mobilize members in contract and worksite campaigns and organizes external stakeholders in those efforts.
- Assists New Organizing with campaigns, events, and gaining support from elected officials and allies.
Candidates must have 5 years experience in political, community and/or labor organizing.
Candidates have superior written and verbal communications skills. The ideal candidate will be a team player, organized, and able to handle multiple priorities concurrently. A commitment to racial and social justice and workers’ rights is a must. Critical thinking and problem solving skills and the ability to recommend actionable solutions. Relentless drive, tenacity, and a willingness to advance our mission and values. Attention to detail and strong follow-through and self-direction on assignments. Ability to work effectively with strong personalities, peers, public officials, and allies. Driver’s license and willingness for regular in-state travel.
Salary for this position is commensurate with the amount of relevant professional experience that a candidate possesses.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They do not include all job duties performed by employees in the title and every position does not necessarily require the same duties.
Please email a résumé, cover letter, and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Political Coordinator” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until November 15, 2019.
1199SEIU is an equal opportunity employer.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com