Lead Organizers / Senior Organizers – Service, Hospitality, Healthcare, and Other Workers : Wisconsin
Milwaukee Area Service & Hospitality Workers Organization
Lead Organizers / Senior Organizers
Service, Hospitality, Healthcare, and Other Workers
Based in Milwaukee, WI
We are seeking passionate people interested in labor organizing to build a multi-sector, multi-racial workers movement with the Milwaukee Area Service & Hospitality Workers Organization (MASH).
MASH is an organization of service, hospitality and other low-wage workers building collective power to raise standards. MASH is a new form of worker organization combining the functions of labor union, hiring hall, worker center, and workforce agency. We launched to implement a landmark community benefits agreement for wage floors, union rights, and a hiring hall for service and hospitality jobs in the new Milwaukee arena district. Now we are working to expand the coverage of living wages and union rights to workers throughout these sectors and even in other industries. We also partner with other unions to build bold, innovative campaigns to win for workers in the 21st century economy.
MASH is hiring Lead Organizers and Senior Organizers to move an ambitious, aggressive program to build power amongst workers and raise standards. MASH is hiring to lead organizers and senior organizers on campaigns to win union recognition and build industry-/sector-wide organization and bargaining.
- Leading, managing, coaching, guiding and directing organizing staff on campaigns, including training, developing and holding accountable staff moving turf.
- Developing and executing a plan to move turf and build winning campaigns
- Leading organizers through example, including worker outreach, building relationships, leadership development, building committees, holding meetings, conducting actions, and inspiring and motivating workers to mobilize in struggle
- Identify and create opportunities for campaigns in line with the organizational vision
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Experience and success in union recognition campaigns (NLRB, card check, etc), contract campaigns, building bottom-up rank-and-file campaigns, and managing organizers strongly preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to economic, racial and social justice.
- Ability and willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
- Excellent listening, oral and written communication skills.
- Basic computer literacy and ability to learn the organization’s technology tools.
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team.
- Ability to be coached and trained, to be held accountable, and to struggle through difficulty.
- Willingness to conduct work site and home visits.
- Resourcefulness, persistence, loyalty and integrity and strong skills in planning, time-management and problem-solving are a must
- Demonstrated ability to work with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license, proof of auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
Salary ranges starting at $52,000/annual but commensurate with experience; benefits include fully employer-paid health, dental and vision insurance; cell phone allowance; generous paid time off; and, 6% salary employer contribution to 401(k) account beginning after 6 months of employment . This is a full-time, salaried, overtime-exempt position.
A résumé should be sent to email@example.com with the subject line “Lead Organizer Application”; no cover letter is required but the email should briefly mention why you are interested in organizing with MASH to build the workers movement.
People of color, women, LGBTQI people, and working class and poor people strongly encouraged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com