Collective Bargaining Analyst – Research & Strategic Initiatives Department : District of Columbia
American Federation of Teachers
Collective Bargaining Analyst
Research & Strategic Initiatives Department
Based in Washington, DC
Unit: AFT Staff Union (AFTSU)
Supervisor: Assistant to the President for Research & Strategic Initiatives
Special Note: The AFT research and strategic initiatives department, which provides strategic and analytic support for the AFT’s national officers and affiliates engaged in bargaining and issue campaigns, is seeking staff to provide analytic capacity in the collective bargaining program.
Position Summary: Under the direct supervision of the deputy director of research and strategic initiatives or their designee, the senior associate will provide analytic support to all of AFT’s constituency divisions on compensation, benefits, and other terms and conditions in collective bargaining agreements.
- Build and maintain a database with the key terms and conditions contained in AFT affiliates’ collective bargaining agreements and benefit plan documents.
- Monitor significant changes to AFT affiliates’ collective bargaining agreements and communicate findings to supervisor.
- Evaluate the compensation systems of AFT members across all constituency divisions—pre-K-12 public education, higher education, public services and health care.
- Track national trends in compensation and benefits among occupations represented by the AFT and prepare regular reports with research findings.
- Compile reference manuals containing sample contract language in AFT affiliates’ collective bargaining agreements.
- Advance compensation and benefit programs through assisting AFT local unions in their collective bargaining with employers, and develop and maintain collective bargaining-related resources and tools for negotiators and local leaders.
- Prepare data analysis and present at AFT meetings and conferences on issues related to trends in compensation and benefits.
- Collect and analyze employer financial documents to determine the financial condition of employers in sectors represented by the AFT.
- Other duties as assigned.
Primary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Advanced communication skills both written and oral.
- Strong statistical analysis skills using Excel and/or other statistical analysis programs.
- Advanced skills in online search strategies, presentation programs.
- Prior experience evaluating compensation and benefits models is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work on long-term research projects with concrete deliverables.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and handle sensitive information with discretion and confidentiality.
- Experience in analyzing school district or hospital finance or another industry is considered a plus.
- Strong commitment to unions and social justice.
- Familiarity with AFT and/or its affiliates is considered a plus.
- The work is generally performed in an office environment, but also requires moderate amounts of out-of-town travel. This position is located at the national headquarters office in Washington, DC.
How to Apply:
Applicants should submit: a cover letter and résumé to the director of human resources or via https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=2268083.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com