Coordinator : California
SEIU UHW West
United Healthcare Workers West
Positions in Stockton and Riverside, CA
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
SEIU United Healthcare Workers-West (UHW), with more than 90,000 members, is the largest healthcare union in California. We are caregivers from every sector of the industry, united to win better care for our patients and better lives for our families and ourselves. For further information about UHW, please visit our website: www.seiu-uhw.org.
Coordinators are responsible for overseeing all aspects of major organizing projects or programs within the department. Coordinators are responsible for directing the work of multiple lead organizers and for coordinating the work of staff in other departments in support of organizing objectives. Under the supervision of the Division Director or Assistant Division Director, the coordinator collaborates in the overall development and implementation of the department’s strategic organizational plan.
Essential Job Functions:
- Directs Lead Organizers and Organizer/Field Representatives in developing the leadership of the organization including the design and implementation of organizing or political campaigns to build organizational leadership identification, recruitment, development, and training.
- The Coordinator oversees and directs the work of staff including the development and training of facility leaders, organizers and lead organizers.
- Develops within the department specific organizing campaigns for represented and unrepresented facilities.
- The Coordinator is responsible for working with staff from other divisions to integrate various elements of an organizing campaign.
- The Coordinator is responsible for the overseeing programs in support of the goals and strategic organizational plan for the department.
- Responsible for the review and evaluation of campaigns.
- Develops and implements action-based campaigns facility specific and union-wide on staffing and scheduling, infectious disease control and patient care.
- Ensures the tracking and reporting on all membership activity in represented facilities.
- Ensures the handling of contract renewals, grievances and arbitration.
- Coordinates all information and develops and implements a collective bargaining strategy appropriate for each instance to achieve more uniform contracts terms and expiration dates.
- Acts as a spokesperson with allied organizations in the fight for better conditions in the facilities – service groups, patient advocates, community groups, and resident and family councils.
- Develops and coordinates all membership-based legislative activity with other appropriate staff that relates to acute care hospital campaign or worksite issues.
- Provides direction, staff development and disciplinary action (if needed) to staff in his/her Division.
- Develops recommended budgets, allocates resources effectively and plans and implements program activities as appropriate.
- Acts as the chief spokesperson and negotiator in collective bargaining for assigned representational units.
- Interprets collective bargaining agreements to members, staff, stewards and other workers
- Analyzes employee relation problems and recommends solutions to workers, stewards, staff and officials of the Union or employer.
- Conducts surveys, job audits, investigation and related activities to and in development of Union policies, bargaining positions and development of effective representation programs.
- Testifies as expert witness before various agencies
- Evaluates and initiates requests for arbitration and other third party proceedings.
- Two years of experience as a Union staff person with increasing responsibilities.
- In depth knowledge of relevant special body of knowledge including labor law like NLRA, MMBA, FLSA, Cal OSHA, FMLA, Title 22, ADA, Workers Compensation, etc.
- Knowledge of workers, the workplace, labor, and political issues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as demonstrated by the ability to relate, establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Adept at leading and motivating workers in necessary struggles.
- Dedication to workers’ rights and social justice.
- Skilled at managing and meeting many and varying deadlines.
- Effective informal and formal negotiating skills.
- Effective demonstrable oral, written and listening skills in English; bilingual skills highly desirable
- Excellent analytical and judgement skills as demonstrable by the ability to assess information and evidence and act strategically.
- Excellent organizational and prioritizing skills showing flexibility as needed; adept at dealing with conflicting/changing priorities.
- Effective facilitating and organizing meeting skills.
- Experience organizing independently and as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of computer programs including Word, e-mail, accessing the Internet, and databases.
- Program planning and administrative skills.
- Previous experience leading or supervising staff.
- Work long and varying hours including weekends, nights and holidays. Driving long distances for extended periods of time. Traveling statewide and out of state with overnights and periods away from home may be required.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Coordinator is required to have a valid driver’s license, automobile insurance and a working automobile.
The capacity to lift up to 25 pounds is required. Able to drive, sit, stand, and walk for long periods of time. Ability to work long and irregular hours including nights and weekends
The Coordinator works closely with and interacts with Union members, unorganized workers, employers, government officials, the Executive Board members, officers, other staff, staff from other labor organizations and grassroots organizations.
SEIU-UHW offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefit package.
SEIU-UHW is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability.
Please submit cover letter, résumé and at least 3 references to our candidate portal at: http://seiuunitedhealthcareworkers.appone.com/.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com