Communications Specialist : Ontario, Canada
Air Line Pilots Association, International
Based in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), the largest airline pilot union in the world and the largest non-governmental aviation safety organization in the world (representing over 62,000 pilots at 35 U.S. and Canadian airlines) seeks an experienced Communications Specialist for our Ottawa, ON office. The Communications Specialist provides strategic and tactical communications support for ALPA’s pilot leaders to build effective communications plans and provide professional support in all areas of pilots’ day-to-day communication operations. S/he will provide leadership and strategic counsel in helping our pilot groups determine the proper development, packaging, placement, and timing of communications that advance their goals; execute programs and campaigns to support collective bargaining and advocacy priorities for the pilot group; and, handle general communications, including media relations, social media, community/stakeholder relations, and other outreach support.
Overall, s/he will provide strategic communications counsel, exercise leadership and initiative, influence the decision-making process, and ensure that project benchmarks and deadlines are met. S/he must exhibit excellent writing, problem-solving, consensus-building, and interpersonal skills to establish credibility with pilot leaders and ALPA’s professional staff and be a skilled media and social media tactician, able to take complex issues and transform them into clear communications for multiple audiences to increase audience reach and engagement.
Interested applicants are requested to submit online portfolio link(s) showing previous work.
Local, national, and international travel: 10 – 30%.
Minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area, e.g., Communications, English, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, or related field, from an accredited college or university is required, master’s degree or completion of post-graduate courses preferred; or, the equivalent combination of education and practical experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in a communications role at ALPA or in an equivalent advocacy and/or communications position elsewhere required. Aviation and/or labour union experience and/or knowledge preferred.
- Very strong interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written, for effective interaction with internal staff, external contacts, and pilots. Attention to detail when reviewing and editing written materials required.
- Ability to speak and understand French preferred.
- Must possess excellent time management skills; be able to work independently in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment; and, transition easily between projects.
- Ability to effectively interpret and disseminate complex information about aviation safety and security, labour contracts and collective bargaining, and communicate for public understanding strongly preferred.
- Possesses the professional demeanor necessary to address issues of a complex nature, to establish credibility in contentious circumstances, and to positively affect members, the media, and other audiences.
- Experience planning and implementing proactive media, social media and PR/education campaigns; proven track record in pitching media; securing story placements; and, digital content marketing and advertising.
- Track record in developing, executing, and evolving comprehensive and proactive communications plans, as well as specific programs and campaigns.
- Must be a self-starter with professional maturity and sound judgment, capable of independent decision-making.
- Able to develop and execute social media strategies that build awareness and support for key pilot group initiatives, including follower campaigns, social media, advertising, and the like.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing, presentation, design, and web content management preferred, with a willingness to learn new software applications to enhance effectiveness.
- Software: Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required; Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign) and Adobe Dreamweaver desirable. Sitecore, Evoq, and/or HTML a plus. Basic audio/video editing also a plus.
Note: The physical demands described herein are characteristic of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential physical activities of this position described below.
Constantly operates a computer/smartphone/tablet. Regularly required to maintain a stationary position, move about the office and the local metropolitan area, determine what others have said or written, and converse with others and exchange accurate information.
Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, and move about the office and travel (locally, nationally, and internationally). Also include occasional bending, stooping, squatting, and/or pushing and pulling or moving, e.g., to pack, unpack, and/or move cases.
Occasionally required to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, books, boxes, and files up to ten (10) pounds (lbs.). While on travel, could be responsible to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, boxes, cases, and/or files weighing as much as 50 lbs. (Assistance may not always be available.)
Please apply online at: https://jobs-alpa.icims.com/jobs/1330/communications-specialist/job
ALPA offers competitive salaries with enhanced benefits, including:
- 24 days paid vacation and holidays per year;
- generous sick and bereavement leave;
- company-paid premiums for family supplemental health care (supplemental medical, dental, prescription, and vision for employee, spouse, and dependent children), life insurance, and long-term disability insurance; and
- contributions into individual RRSP account with an excellent match after one year of service.
Relocation Not Provided.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com