Hartford Community Organizer : Connecticut
Make the Road Connecticut
Hartford Community Organizer
Based in Hartford, CT
ABOUT MAKE THE ROAD CONNECTICUT:
Make the Road Connecticut is a statewide organization that builds power of immigrants and low-income Latinx in Hartford and Bridgeport to achieve dignity and justice. We do this by community organizing, legal and survival services, transformative education, and policy innovation. We tackle the issues that directly impact our communities of color: immigration reform, economic justice, education equity, LGBTQ justice, womxn’s justice and youth justice.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
We seek an energetic Hartford Community Organizer who will have the primary responsibility of building and supporting the parent committee (Madres Guerreras) thru base building, leadership development and executing a local campaign to guarantee language access to immigrant parents within Hartford Public Schools. Secondary responsibilities will be to further develop a rapid response plan and network. We seek a candidate to have one year of experience in outreach to community members, coordination of local actions and mobilization for statewide actions. Candidate will grow into engaging allies across the state and the city to advance our organizational power. The Hartford Community Organizer will report to the Organizing Director.
Community Organizer will be responsible for:
- Identifying, recruiting and developing community members.
- Facilitate committee meetings and develop members to facilitate their meetings.
- Develop and implement campaign work plans.
- Plan local actions with parent strategy committee.
- Develop testimonies with members for press.
- Work with directly impacted people to give testimonies that advance our campaigns.
- Navigate community and political relationships and empower parent leaders to do this for their own committee.
- Develop political education materials in conjunction with our campaigns and facilitate regular political education workshops as part the parent committee meetings.
- Collaborate with the Bridgeport parent committee to build our statewide power.
- Develop a leadership pipeline that sustain parent leader and activist growth and ensuring that members are taking leads on outreach, popular education training and other work that they are doing through 1-1s, phone banking, and parent KYR trainings.
- Point person for rapid response in the Harford area.
- Develop a data base for Hartford story collections.
- Foster relationships with immigration attorneys and advocacy groups.
- Conduct immigration know your rights presentations.
- Recruitment, confirmation, and follow up for Hartford Immigration Legal Clinics.
- Take lead on addressing immigration issues and concerns during monthly general meetings.
- Be able to work in a fast and start up environment.
- Continuously seek opportunities to organize around housing rights or worker’s issues.
The Community Organizer must have the following:
- At least 1 years of experience in community, labor, or other relevant organizing fields.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, community organizing, leadership development and the elevation of directly impacted and marginalized people to create change.
- Speaking and writing in English/Spanish is required.
- A car and driver’s license is required.
- Ability to manage simultaneous projects in a fast-paced environment at a growing organization.
- Ability to travel between Hartford and Bridgeport on a regular basis.
Competitive annual salary based on relevant work experience, education, and other factors. This is a full time position that includes a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance and 401K.
Make the Road CT is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employers and seek to ensure equal opportunity and equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, religion, color, citizenship, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, gender identity, genetic information and sexual orientation, in all employment decisions including but not limited to hiring, compensation, benefits, training, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Please send a résumé and cover letter to Barbara Lopez, Director of Make the Road CT: email@example.com, and please put “Application: Make the Road CT for Hartford Community Organizer” in the subject line of the email. Application Deadline 10/07/19.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com