Union Organizer : Virginia
Fairfax County Federation of Teachers
AFT Affiliate Local 2401
Based in Springfield, VA
The American Federation of Teachers (AFT), AFL-CIO is seeking a Union Organizer. Organizers are responsible for a variety of aspects of a campaign including building relationships with workers, developing issues-based organizing plans for assigned areas, and for recruiting and sustaining motivation of organizing committee members and activists.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize and mobilize workers
- Attend weekly meetings with supervisors to discuss progress and plan activities
- One-on-one visits, site visits, home calls, before and after school meetings/events, and other interaction with members and prospective members (varying hours)
- Enter assessments and other data collected in a database on a weekly basis
- Occasionally, be assigned to other parts of the state as required
- Take direction on daily and weekly activities to grow AFT membership and accomplish the overarching union vision
- Dedicated to social and economic justice
- Dedicated to public education and fighting for the rights of teachers and service personnel
- Ability to work with individuals different from one’s self
- Ability to work long and irregular hours (not a 9-5 job)
- Ability to receive and implement feedback
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer literacy
- Strong social media literacy
- Ability to comprehend educational policy and law
- Ability to creatively apply strategies to short and long-term campaigns for organizing and member mobilization
- Experience in labor/union, community, student, civil rights, or environmental activism or organizing is highly preferred. Training will be provided for the right individual.
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.A., B.S.) or equivalent strongly preferred.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with all levels of management
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, time management and analytical skills
- Ability to independently manage priorities and workflow
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees
- Computer proficiency and comfortable with Microsoft applications
- Communication including but not limited to phone and electronic mail.
The Union Organizer works in the FCFT office, but may attend meetings and events outside the office regularly. Special working conditions may cover a range of circumstances from regular evening and weekend work, attending conferences and school board meetings, and so forth.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the following is provided for the position:
- Involves analytical and problem-solving skills
- Use of clear and articulate speech
- Written/oral communication skills
- Interpersonal and customer service skills
- Moderate lifting (up to 25 lbs.)
- Use of a computer keyboard
- Sitting/standing for long periods and ability to travel by various means, e.g., train, plane, automobile.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com