Field Representative : Ohio
Covering Northwest Ohio
Statewide labor federation seeks Field Representative (Rep) to carry out the critical aspects of the field mobilization/member communication program within a defined region of Ohio. Working at the direction of the Ohio AFL-CIO and assigned staff, Reps will work directly with union affiliates, local labor councils, community partners and other allies to implement key components of all AFL-CIO activities and programs. The Rep’s priority assignment will be to develop and enhance labor and worker mobilization within the Northwest Ohio (Lima/ Toledo) region.
LEADERSHIP RELATIONS AND COALITION BUILDING:
Work with local labor councils, affiliate unions, and community groups to obtain support and implement the overall state campaign plan and pro-worker agenda in the area. The Rep will facilitate the development of closer ties and effective working relationships between labor leadership and like-minded community organizations.
The Rep’s role will be to train, organize, and motivate leaders and activists to help build self-sustaining organizations and committees. Working with unions and community allies, the Rep will increase participation in labor-to-labor and public walks, phone banks, rallies, marches, meetings, and other events. The Rep will develop new mobilization structures and enlarge existing ones to expand labor’s ability to create larger, more creative, and more strategic member turnout for legislative, political, organizing, and solidarity actions.
BUILDING A STRONG POLITICAL PROGRAM:
The Rep will assist in developing the Ohio AFL-CIO “Labor 2020/ Take Back Ohio” program by expanding labor’s political power on electoral campaigns, legislative campaigns, and organizing campaigns. The Rep will work directly with Central Labor Councils and affiliates to implement these plans. The Rep will train affiliates in developing workplace education and activate union members in support of endorsed candidates and issue campaigns.
The Rep manages and regularly updates the labor file and other reporting tools for outreach to unions, community allies and individual volunteers while working to expand these networks.
ORGANIZING EVENTS AND ACTIONS:
The Rep organizes labor-to-labor walks, rallies, pickets, phone banks, marches, and more. The Rep will lead and organize trainings of activists and leaders. The Rep must also build turnout, assist in agenda preparation, and attend to numerous logistical details.
The Rep will prepare and submit regular and ad hoc reports on field activities as required.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing and driving field political/issue programs.
- Knowledge of and experience with both state and local structures of the labor movement preferred.
- Ability to manage political/issue campaigns at a regional level.
- Ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
- Ability to lead and motivate others within charged political environments.
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in developing personal work plans and goals.
- Demonstrated ability to build teams and work effectively in a team environment in both a lead and a support role.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining important and effective relationships.
- Computer proficiency is required; LAN/VAN experience preferred, database/spreadsheet, email, Internet, word processing, social networking skills.
- Valid drivers license and ability to travel on a regular basis as needed throughout Ohio.
- Ability to work long hours and weekends as required.
Submit résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line “Northwest Ohio Field Representative”
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com