Business Representative : Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin
Actors’ Equity Association
Based in Chicago, IL
Actors’ Equity Association, the union of professional theater actors and stage managers in the United States, is hiring a Business Representative in its Chicago office. Actors’ Equity is a national union affiliated with the AFL-CIO, with 51,000 members – and growing. The Business Representative handles matters related to collective bargaining, contract administration and organizing with regard to various agreements.
- Handles matters related to collective bargaining in assigned areas of the Union’s jurisdiction, including negotiation of contracts in consultation with and under the direction of a supervisor, and processing of concession requests and appeals.
- Oversees administration of collective bargaining agreements in assigned areas, including:
- Processing of the opening and closing of each production or season.
- Filing and processing claims and grievances on behalf of union members.
- Providing front-line contract administration assistance to members in the work place.
- Organizes new work opportunities for AEA members, including outreach to non-union theaters and leading campaigns.
- Responds to questions from Employers and members regarding Equity and contract matters.
- Represents AEA at first rehearsal cast meetings, in person and remotely.
- Educates and engages members on issues of importance to AEA.
- Serves as a resource to the assigned liaison committee(s), including regular consultation, frequent meetings and periodic travel.
- Inspects performance, rehearsal, and audition spaces as needed to ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreements.
- Serves as regional staff point-person for assigned governance committees.
- Identifies and pursues opportunities in the assigned areas for expanding Equity’s strategic interests, including identification of member leaders, relationships with allied organizations, and awareness of industry issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
- Collaborative problem-solving and analytical abilities
- Organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, including demonstrated ability to work successfully with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Excellent spoken and written communication and presentation skills
- Negotiating skills
- Industry knowledge
- Valid driver’s license preferred.
- Reliable transportation preferred.
- Must be available and willing to travel to such locations and with such frequency as AEA determines is necessary or desirable to meet its organizational needs. Work in the evening and/or on a weekend may be necessary.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience strongly preferred
- Professional experience related to managing contractual relationships preferred
- Prior experience in a labor organization or in the performing arts strongly preferred
- Starting salary: $1,125/week
- Excellent individual and family health benefits
- Employer-funded defined benefit pension plan and 401(k)
Please submit a cover letter and résumé. Applications without these elements will not be considered. Apply for Business Representative – Chicago at: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=6656cd26-000d-4c4a-a5e1-2763ca5415b5&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=263332&lang=en_US&source=CC4
Actors’ Equity Association is committed to creating a diverse & inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity in the workplace regardless of age, gender and gender identity, race/ethnicity, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or veteran status.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com