WGAE Internal Organizer : New York
Writers Guild of America, East
WGAE Internal Organizer
Based in New York City, NY
The Writers Guild of America, East (WGAE) is a labor union representing professional writers of narrative feature films and television programs, along with documentaries, and writer/producers of TV/radio/digital news. We are looking for a full time Internal Organizer to work with our members in film, television and new media scripted entertainment.
Primary Functions and Responsibilities:
- Work with members to organize around workplace and industry issues including, but not limited to, contract campaigns, industry wide union initiatives, lobbying efforts, member engagement and leadership development.
- Ensure consistent communication with members through regular emails, phone calls, one-on-one and small group meetings, along with turn out for larger membership meetings.
- Recruit, train and develop shop stewards, activists and committee leaders.
- Regularly maintain and update member lists and work effort.
- Help to develop and maintain an internal organizing database.
- Assist with other WGAE campaigns as needed.
- Help with basic enforcement of the WGA’s Minimum Basic Agreement (MBA) and the Guild’s other freelance collective bargaining agreements.
- At least two years of union organizing/representational experience.
- Ability and understanding of how to move workers to get more involved with their union.
- Basic understanding of union collective bargaining agreements.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to develop and execute a work plan to accomplish short term and long terms goals.
- Ability to work effectively with a dynamic and evolving freelance work force.
- Ability to travel and work long and irregular hours, as needed, to meet with members and work on campaigns.
- Basic knowledge of computer programs and database software.
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive salary commensurate with work experience. Excellent health and retirement benefits.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should please forward a résumé and cover letter to: email@example.com.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com