Content Writer : California
California School Employees Association
Based in San Jose, CA
The Content Writer creates copy for CSEA’s website and web-based applications, including digital, social or print media. This position creates, curates and manages digital content across multiple channels to market CSEA’s brand, values and services to members.
Supervision Received and Exercised
This position reports to the Director and/or Assistant Director of Communications. It has no direct reports.
The Content Writer is required to demonstrate the ability to create copy that engages the reader with imagination, spirit and insight. The writing and editing should adapt to a variety of media to inspire action, interest and connection. This position is characterized by writing brief, precise messages using limited space, as well as presentations or reports that may include tables, graphs, or analysis of data.
An incumbent in this position is required to demonstrate a considerable degree of creativity, collaboration, initiative, attention to detail, and good judgment in carrying out duties. The consequence of error in judgment may be critical to CSEA’s image and brand, both internally and externally.
Examples of Duties
- Collaborates with graphic designers, website technicians, multi-media and video production specialists to write, edit and produce materials that enhance CSEA’s visibility and brand
- Writes, edits, proofreads copy and promotes content for print, social, and digital media that reflects our values and our members’ voices
- Updates website
- Acts as a resource to others in teaching the union’s new media and social networking techniques
- Develops written templates for use on social media for Field Operations
- Develops online expertise of members and staff
- Communicates best practices in using social media
- Brainstorms creative concepts and ideas to promote membership in CSEA
- Recommends new topics
- Writes with a clear, distinct voice
- Tells stories and writes testimonials
- Brings voices to life with language, tone and message
- Scripts dialogue, creates characters, develops storylines that reflect our values and our members’ voices
- Records and edits testimonials for audio/video use
- Creates, produces and edits themes and messages
- Submits copy to editors for input and review
- Adheres to guidelines for branding, style and design
- Implements an electronic influence strategy to engage members
- Monitors, listens and responds as needed via social media channels
- Integrates social networking techniques into campaign strategies
- Writes messages and themes for use with campaign technologies
- Analyzes, reports on social media metrics
- Markets services and benefits of membership
- Writes to reflect our values and our members’ voices
- Advocates for CSEA’s values, mission and services
- Uses search engine optimization guidelines to increase web traffic
- Writes, delivers presentations
- Prepares questionnaires and surveys
- Conducts research and interviews
- Uses tables, charts, and graphs to inform and influence
- Analyzes, reports on trends and issues using statistical data
- Participates in strategic planning meetings
- Completes multiple projects with short deadlines
- Other duties as assigned
- Web formatting tools
- Content management systems
- Advertising, marketing
- Digital content management
- Data analysis
- Project management
- Search engine optimization
- Running social media campaigns on various platforms
- Grammar, AP style, Chicago Manual of Style, and/or Strunk and White’s Elements of Style for creative and imaginative writing
- Conducting research using multiple sources, including Google analytics and interviewing subject matter experts
- Popular culture, and new advertising trends and techniques
- Social media and a flair for marketing
- Familiarity with social media scheduling platforms like Hootsuite
- Superb writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Strong research skills
- Excellent written, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Proficiency with Office 365 including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Design experience helpful not required
- Improve, enhance member satisfaction
- Write with clarity in a simple, crisp style
- Research and summarize information or data
- Write quickly and perform under tight deadlines
- Adapt style to a variety of voices, on many different subjects, to a variety of media
- Be creative, imaginative, and curious
- Work well in a team of creative people
- Take critical feedback
- Show strong attention to detail
- Absorb traditional best practices and adapt to future trends
- Design or develop apps for mobile devices
- BA degree in writing, literature, art, communications or related field.
- 2 years’ experience in writing or producing copy for digital, print or broadcast channels
- Experience developing apps helpful, but not required
- Additional experience may be substituted for education requirement on a year for year basis.
Please apply on our web site at www.csea.com/employment. Upload your résumé with a cover letter that explains your qualifications, interest and career goals.
Our mission: To improve the lives of our members, students and community.
This is a non-exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.
Job Posting Courtesy of UnionJobs.com